tranny or t case

the cable guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
driving along today and the truck stop moving, no movement in forward or reverse 2h 4H or 4L.

when it goes back into Park it grinds for a second.

had it towed to dealer, waiting for them to look at it.
Im thinking transfer case

I have the manual hubs and manual t case lever on the floor.

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
Sounds like some splines got stripped? You hauling any loads when it did it?

elliotthere

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
driving along today and the truck stop moving, no movement in forward or reverse 2h 4H or 4L.

when it goes back into Park it grinds for a second.

had it towed to dealer, waiting for them to look at it.
Im thinking transfer case

I have the manual hubs and manual t case lever on the floor.

Sounds like the park pol is trying to do its job, locking-up the trans output shaft & ring gear,likely your problem is in the transfer case.

Good luck Dave(elliotthere)

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
Let us know what you find out. Im kinda curious what it is. :coffee. Hope it somethin super simple.

the cable guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dealer said the T-case is bad. It is covered by the extended power train warranty.

55k and t-case blows up, unacceptable in this day and age. If it was not for the 100k coverage on the engine I would be lookng at a new truck.

elliotthere

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
dealer said the T-case is bad. It is covered by the extended power train warranty.

55k and t-case blows up, unacceptable in this day and age. If it was not for the 100k coverage on the engine I would be lookng at a new truck.

I'm glad to here you have power train warranty, your lucky the t-case blew-up before the warranty time ran out.

Good luck Dave (elliotthere)

the cable guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
transfer case

Service manager said the T case was completely shot and not worth the rebuild. they requested a replacement unit and FORD had to send a rep to confirm that the tech was correct in his diagnosis. They agreed and a new one is on the way.

I dont understand how this happened, its a total manual sys hubs and lever on the cab floor. only use the 4x4 high when needed in the snow which is very minimal and dont run around with the hubs locked in 2wd

Last edited:

snicklas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
the cable guy,

With any 4x4 system it is recommened the 4x4 be run for at least 1 mile once a month. This is to keep the parts lubed up. I had a truck with manual lock-outs and a manual t-case I would just engage it in 4-hi once a month without the hubs locked. I have done this on dey pavement, with the manual lockouts they are not being driven, so no harm done. With this truck, it is ESOF, so I just engage it once a month when it is raining.... Has not been an issue this winter, have been running the 4x4 quite regularly.....

Tha damage could have been caused by lack of lube due to half the parts being "dry" most of the time....... just a theory

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On most T case theres a pump and the pump may have crapped out.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58