Tranny Problems!!! What did I break...

JOAT

I Found Nemo!
Reaction score
Got on it hard coming out of the toll plaza, and either during 1-2 or 2-3, it felt like it shifted up then dropped back a gear, hard.

Since then;
-shifts feel late, except TCC at 30 instead of 45
-runs at higher RPM in each gear
-several hundred RPM higher in OD (2700 rpm at 60mph instead of 1800ish)
-NO reverse (found that out in a bad spot)

All shifts occur, OD off works. Like maybe it lost a planetary engagement somewhere? Over running clutch? solenoid or valve body????

Will study some on it before I pull the tranny, but thought maybe some of you tranny gurus would know right of what section quit on me...

lukecline

Full Access Member
Reaction score
get ahold of richter69 over on TDS, sorry to send you over there but im pretty sure he's not on this site. He could probably give you a pretty good idea of whats broke.

JOAT

I Found Nemo!
Reaction score
Richter69 appears to be registered here. If he wants to come over to the enlightened site that would be great. I can/will figure it out myself eventually, but posting it here adds to the info available on this site:D

Additional symptoms:
-no engine braking in 3rd or 4th

Gotta get the RV down to DMV and do battle since I'm home early. Will pull the books out later and match symptoms before making my next move.

Last edited:

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Don,

Since you lost reverse I'm going to take a WAG at something with the pump (I keep thinking that there is a VB behind the TC for the pump.). But, you can drop the pan and pull the valve body easy enough and see if there is a broken spring on one of the valves. If thats clean, then Im gonna say drop the tranny and see what broked.

Mike

JOAT

I Found Nemo!
Reaction score
Anyway, as my luck would have it, the ATSG manuals have no specific symptoms in the troubleshooting section matching mine.

Based on what clutches apply in what gear, looks like the direct clutch may be a good candidate for suspicion. If it doesn't apply perhaps a planetary doesn't contribute, but is held from reversing by a one-way clutch that would otherwise be over-running if direct were engaged:dunno Just a SWAG
According to the book tho I shouldn't have third if it were the Direct clutch...hmmmm, acts like it's in all gears, but less speed per rpm. Maybe I'm getting something thats not really third when it engages. Would be neat to have an animated E4OD program where you could make changes and see how it responds

Will probably drop the pan tomorrow and check the valve body and do an air pressure check of the various clutches and bands. Then drop the tranny if needed. Wish I knew in advance what parts to order. Every day I'm down is a day I'm paying for fuel. Have over 100 gallons WVO ready to go...

Sent Richter69 a PM too. Hopefully he'll jump in

Last edited:

richter69

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Lot of stuff here, almost sounds as if a snap ring or a hub or somthing broke in the lower geartrain. Might pull the pan to look, but I bet its going to come out and apart for this one. Stupid car has me consumed at the moment, million little things still left to do, it'll all be done soon though.

:burnit

starting to suck over at the other place. Did you really tell them to lick your balls Luke? You are my hero.

lukecline

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes jon, that and a few other choice words lol

good to see ya over here!

JOAT

I Found Nemo!
Reaction score
richter69 said:
Lot of stuff here, almost sounds as if a snap ring or a hub or somthing broke in the lower geartrain. Might pull the pan to look, but I bet its going to come out and apart for this one.
...snip

Glad to see you over here:sweet

Wouldn't surprise me if it were a snap ring, considering my history with Ford AT snap rings. At least it didn't act like it tore out half the tranny. Got me 70 miles home too.

Drained the fluid, sparkling ruby Amsoil, as usual. No sediment or discoloration. Will drop the pan tomorrow and do the air checks and inspect the valve body. Timing is bad, but I've been looking for an excuse to beef it up anyway. Also put a better TC in. The Transgo kit proved it's worth by getting rid of all but low RPM TCC slippage for 20k or so. Enough of that experiment, the cheap TC can go now...

3-StarJ.R.

53 year old kid.....
Reaction score
timing is bad.....

When your tranny goes south, it makes any timing REAL bad. Don I got a ftvb gathering dust if you find that th vb is your problem, use it as long as you want till you figure out what you might do in the long term to solve your tranny woes.....let me know, I'll get it headed your way.....Jon ignore my pm, you beat me back over here, thanks for helping someone who has gone out of his way to help and teach all of us.....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58