Tranny Problems!!! What did I break...

JOAT

I Found Nemo!
Reaction score
Hi Jim, thanks for the offer.

I'd actually be surprised if it were the VB itself, tho I've seen stuck valves and sheared retainers cause wierd problems. Fortunately there is a place nearby that parts out transmissions (Transmission Parts and Cores in/near San Leandro). I can get any stock hard parts cheap. My big concern is getting the upgrade parts I want quickly. Most of what I want I can get pretty cheap, but usually takes over a week from those sources. Will probably have to trade $$$ for time, but the cheap fuel I can use again sooner will help make up for it;)

3-StarJ.R.

53 year old kid.....
Reaction score
I'd actually be surprised if it were the VB itself,

I was thinking the same thing Don, sounds like it goes deeper than just in the VB, but it's there if you need it......No doubt you allready got your game plan figured out, would like to offer to help you wrench on it , but don't think it would make it to Tennessee ::doh: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Don,

Click on the UCC link in my sig, Jon turned me onto them and I am running his middle of the line TC right now. It wont break the bank (450-500ish) and its a very good TC.

Mike

JOAT

I Found Nemo!
Reaction score
Trannys coming out...

Must have sheared the direct clutch teeth. The "loss of 3rd" description in the book be what I'm experiencing. I see loss of 3rd and I assume nothing beyond 2nd, but thats what I get for assuming.

Funny tho, Ford describes loss of reverse as failed direct clutch, if there is a loss of 3rd too. Guess what they say under loss of 3rd? Nothing! There is no loss of 3rd listed!:roflmao

Anyway, does anyone know if Alto red eagle disks and Kolene steels have stronger teeth too, or is it just the friction portion thats improved?

Thanks for the link Mike. I've got something simlar coming locally, but I'll keep that link around, looks promising.

If it weren't for the little metal chunks, I'd be pretty happy with how it looks in the pan.

Last edited:

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Yeah, pan looks good Don, but those little metal chunks laying in there can give cause for heartburn. Sorry for the failure and I hope its not a spendy repair for you.

twildman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Joat, the altos and kolene's are holding my 400+ hp with no problems at all

JOAT

I Found Nemo!
Reaction score
Started tearing into it, but have to get to some honeydo's for awhile. Not to the point of actual failure yet but have an interesting pic.

Pic shows the type problem I've seen developing on most of my trannys after putting 100s of thousands miles on them. Clutch linings are fine, good for along time. But the teeth are wearing down. Eventually they get too narrow, then they shear off, which is what I'm expecting to see on the direct clutch when I get there.

Thats the part I was curious about on the Alto Red Eagle clutches. I know they hold and resist burnup longer. But do they resist this sort of long term tooth wear? I have the standard Alto clutch set already (left in pic). Some of them have "hardened spline" printed on them, so maybe they were ade more wear resistant:dunno

Last edited:

dpantazis

Reaction score
the tooth wear and clutch plate wear is curious.

my first reaction is that the wrong part is wearing. i would think that the friction material is not getting worn, but the engaging teeth. maybe their are not wear resitant, but maby the atf is too slippy?

dennis

JOAT

I Found Nemo!
Reaction score
Actually, if it is shifting properly and has good fluid, the friction material should pretty much last forever. Lining wear is an indicator of something going wrong, not of normal operation (in wet clutches and bands). A well seasoned band or friction plate actually shifts and holds much better than a new one, so I normally never replace them unless there is tooth wear.

The teeth on the other hand have very little surface area. As the clutch engages, the teeth will slide a little against the mating splines, placing alot of load on a very small area. I've been in several trannys with over 200k that had perfectly good linings, but the teeth were getting dangerously thin. Hopefully the Alto clutches have more durable teeth.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14