Trans temp..am I screwed?

orion_134

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's what I was afraid of, but I need to know where these things are so that I can check/change them.
ANYONE HAVE A FACTORY KNOWN-GOOD VB THAT THEY'D LIKE TO SELL?
Jesse

trackspeeder

Stone Crusher
Reaction score
That's what I was afraid of, but I need to know where these things are so that I can check/change them.
ANYONE HAVE A FACTORY KNOWN-GOOD VB THAT THEY'D LIKE TO SELL?
Jesse

You can try a tranny shop for that part or Ford. Check with ITP Diesel they sell a modified VB;tu. The part you want to check is up front close to the torque converter. This is the part that a lot of people do the "Sonnax" mod to.;tu

Sticking solnoids will normaly throw a shift error code. But don't rule that out.

trackspeeder

Stone Crusher
Reaction score
You will have a flashing "off" light on your shifter.

I would dig through the valve body first. See if a valve is hung up or sticky. Check the springs. See if any are broken or tangled up. give it a good cleaning.
Then reinstal it if everything checks out ok.
Tighten all bolts from the center out 80-100 inch pounds.;tu

orion_134

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sigh...it used to try to kick in/out of lockup at part-throttle 45ish mph increasing load...now it seems to really want to stutter in/out of lockup during that situation (and only that situation). Could this also be solenoid related? If anyone has ever driven a vehicle that is vacuum operated and the vacuum line is disconnected (only shifts under line pressure) that's how this truck is acting in 1/2 gears.
Still vb? Once I pull the front (and only the front?) vb off I am only checking for messed up springs? What about if I find blueing on any of the valves/"plungers" (not sure what they are called) should I try to take an emory cloth to them?
Think I can send the converter and vb back to factorytech and have them check it out? Hate to buy all new stuff but I'll do it if I need to...
Jesse

Last edited:

orion_134

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will be replacing the valvebody to cure the 1-2 shift problem...now for the second problem. It seems as if it isn't sure under increasing accelleration in 3rd/4th gear whether it wants to unlock the converter. Is the tc lockup function also controlled in the accumulator/valvebody or is there another solenoid I am going to have to search for/replace?
Jesse

orion_134

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replaced the vb...it fixed everything but the late shifts. Just took the programmer off and unplugged the batteries. Gonna take her for a ride in about 30 minutes. Only one code, 1-2 shift error code happened a week ago one morning when I let it rev a little too high before I let off for it to shift.
Jesse

orion_134

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, had the trans rebuilt. Was told some teeth were missing on the forward drum, two solenoids were stuck and two were weak, intermediate sprag had some issues, the front pump seal was severed and causing some pressure loss, and some plungers in the main valvebody were sticking....whew...going to pick it up on Sunday.
Jesse

orion_134

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried that first...tried a bunch of things first, taking out the chip, reset pcm, flush fluid, new accumulator. It was just broke.
Jesse

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14