Transmission fluid leaking out bad

JDW TRUCKING

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I was told that I needed a new pump & a torque converter in my transmission. Fluid is pouring out of the hole under the truck were the transmission is located & I wanted to know if it would be best to replace the whole tranny or just let them rebuild whats wrong with it????:dunno
Any help would br GREAT!!!

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
If tranny fluid is pouring out like you say, I would rebuild the entire tranny. You don't want to half-ass a tranny.

Dave :)

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
define pouring please. Are we talking a puddle that runs out from under the truck or a 1/4" stream or it leaves a 1' puddle when parked.

The torque converter seal on the 4r100 and e4OD (you have a 4r100) is prone to leak if it's gotten too hot because it gets brittle with heat. there are aftermarket seals that take the temp swings far better.

Though dave points out a fact that if you've poured out too much fluid over too long of a time you may have further damaged the internals of the transmission that would necessitate a full rebuild not to mention that if you're still on the OE trans with your mileage you're a bit overdue by most accounts for a rebuild. The reality is that the seal is a sub $20 part with a healthy labor bill and many shops will add the other stuff on just to cover their rear if it is something else and then the labor is not 99% of the bill.

Last edited:

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
just have the tranny gone through..
probably find a twisted clutch drum as well (make them show you the parts)

JDW TRUCKING

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks fellas!!! Im just gone get it rebuilt so I am bout to drop my tranny today & send it to a shop, would I need to get a torque converter as well??

JDW TRUCKING

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I had a guy to tell me he could rebuild my tranny for 650 if I pull it! I thought dat was cheap for a tranny rebuild, should I fool with this guy??

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would spend the money and get a new torque converter. Why only do the job half way.
Doug

JDW TRUCKING

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I would spend the money and get a new torque converter. Why only do the job half way.
Doug

What do u mean doug, my tranny was pouring fluid out real bad & a guy at this shop said he would rebuild it for 650 & I buy the new torque converter. I didnt think u could build a 4r100 tranny that cheap.

trackspeeder

Stone Crusher
Reaction score
What do u mean doug, my tranny was pouring fluid out real bad & a guy at this shop said he would rebuild it for 650 & I buy the new torque converter. I didnt think u could build a 4r100 tranny that cheap.

Just replacing the frictions, steels and the seals can be done at that price. No updates. No replacement of worn parts, bushings or bearings. Big chain tranny shop type rebuild.:eek:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58