Transmission fluid leaking out bad

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
honestly depends on the warranty and what you're doing with the truck. for that price I'd hazard it to be a replace the frictions & seals, reuse the steels and clean the valve body reusing the old springs and solenoid pack.

you can order aftermarket high end components for a little under $500 with frictions, steels & seals. you're getting no bearings.

I'd suggest going elsewhere to get what you really need, a good torque converter is in the $600-1000 neighborhood.

I'd ask the guy what he'd charge you labor wise to rebuild it with the parts you bring him and order the parts from Racer X, that's where I ordered the parts for mine. You'll be in more $$ but end up with a better end product.

pick a torque converter wear parts
Call him up and with the trans info he can let you know if there are any internal updates and send you those as well.

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most really good trans. shop will replace the torque converter automatic and in some cases the trans, cooler too. That is figured in the price of the rebuild if not they can void the warranty. So check out all the point on the warranty to make shore your covered. Look for the fine print stuff. Ask the questions about the replacement of the torque converter and trans. cooler.

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All I was saying is that I wouldn't put a rebuilt trans in my truck without
replacing the torque converter. Don't you pull a car hauler with your truck?
It cost you money for that thing to be in the shop and not on the road.
So I would want the job done right. Reread what BJS had to say.
Doug

dpantazis

Reaction score
there was a thread for a built 4r100 in the parts section. you might want to look at that.

otherwise, spend the money and get it done right. go somewhere else for a more realistic quote.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
The company I work for has a national agreement with Aamco. I've known the head rebuilder at our local one for over 30 years.

When mine puked last year, I had him do it. Bill was $2400.

just sayin..

Oh yeah..
BTS quoted me $4500 plus shipping..

Last edited:

JDW TRUCKING

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
When I dropped my tranny it looks like all I have to do is replace my bushing & seals for the leak to stop & put a new converter on it. I looked in the tranny pan & their was no shaving in the pan & the pump was good as well.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
When I dropped my tranny it looks like all I have to do is replace my bushing & seals for the leak to stop & put a new converter on it. I looked in the tranny pan & their was no shaving in the pan & the pump was good as well.

that's what I thought..
then Joe opened it up and found a 4th gear clutch drum spun into a spiral.. and nothing left of the 2nd gear frictions..

your call man...
we have to drive ours, not yours

not sayin, just sayin...

JDW TRUCKING

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
that's what I thought..
then Joe opened it up and found a 4th gear clutch drum spun into a spiral.. and nothing left of the 2nd gear frictions..

your call man...
we have to drive ours, not yours

not sayin, just sayin...

let me ask u this JL, did u have problems before your's starting leaking??? Mine was going threw all gears still fine & going in reverse fine still as well.

dpantazis

Reaction score
jdw-

is this the first time your tranny has been down? from your sig, i am guessing that your truck has 212,000 miles.

you are simply wishing if there is nothing more than bushings and seals needed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58