transmission guy having troubles

nswsparky

All my stuff
Reaction score
Some of you may know I bought my truck a while ago from my company for a song, in part because the transmission (ZF 650) needed to be rebuilt. So I pulled the transmission bought a rebuild kit, new input shaft (old one bearing spun) and clutch. Brought the transmission to a guy to rebuild it with the parts i had purchaced. He rebuilt it, I then got it back and put it back in. To my dismay found out the reverse did not work after installation. Reverse worked fine before I took the transmission out. So still drove it around for a month bieng carefull not to get my land-yat in any situations where I could not get out of. I then talked to the transmission guy he said since it was his fault he would be willing to pull the transmission fix it and reinstall it, so I thought that was nice. So now after my truck has been at his shop for 5 weeks waiting for "parts" he is in the process of putting it back togeter and he is having troubles. He says reverse engages with the plate or case or something is off but when he puts it back togeter reverse stops engaging. There seems to be an interference.

Has anyone ever dug deep into this transmission and would know what the problem could be. Could it be a shift collar on backwards? Or the wrong sequence of parts? It would be nice to have my truck back driving the Jeep is getting expensive.

Frankenstien

Frankestien
Reaction score
Have him check the #3 shift fork for wear, they sit in a groove, it will work fine with the case off, but when you reassemble it and lines things up, this may move it out of the ring. This is more common in the "M" series trannies (MAzda) mnf. the ZF are fairly Stout, but might be something to look at. Also make sure he is VERY careful about lining up the Pump and the drive groove.

nswsparky

All my stuff
Reaction score
He finally got it figured out he had swapped the shift forks around when he originally took the transmission apart, one is an 1/8" longer than the other one. The longer one was in the wrong place and was contacting the case before it could engage reverse fully, he should have it done Sat. Now I just have to drive the 3 hours to Detroit Lakes MN to pick it up.

And Why the heck are the posts ordered backwards!!!?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14