Transmission Shutter

fordman08

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I am new to the forum. I purchased a 2008 F250 FX4 6.4L back in December of 08 and I have had a lot of issues since. I had the software update installed at the end of January and shortly there after, the TCM, wiring harness, and reverse/low selenoid went out. That was at 4000 miles on the odometer. All of those parts were replaced under warranty. I have taken the truck in 4 times to have a shutter investigated with no results. The last time, about a week ago, I took it in and they ended up finding a bad thermostat, water pump, and radiator. All of those parts were replaced under warranty. I am curious to know if the shutter that I am about to describe is a characteristic of the vehicle or is something just plain wrong. I cannot seem to get the problem to duplicate for the service guys at Ford.

Here's what it is doing: I drive out of state almost every weekend. My trip is a little over 200 miles one way. The halfway point is usually stop and go traffic. Once I start, the vehicle is maintained on cruise control at about 70-75 mph for about 80 miles before disengaging. After I slow down to stop and go traffic, and begin to accelerate off from a red light, the truck will shutter, almost like the tranny is skipping, for about 3 seconds and then stop. Sometimes it will do it 2-3 times before stopping altogether and sometimes only once.

All and all the drivetrain feels sluggish. Like something just isn't quite right. The problem will not duplicate for the the service techs because of the variables that have to occur in order to duplicate. I can drive it in the city all day and the truck will not duplicate the problem.

Please help. I have 20,500 miles on the truck now and this is a nuisance.

wilson111

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
do you have an after market air filter on the truck? check out the rainy days thread i started.

Last edited:

Jimmy Tanner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck, F250 HD Edition, does the same thing under the same conditions.......seems to be stuck on 'shifting' and or a short, constant slip.

fordman08

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Just got through wrestling with Ford. Latest and greatest on my problem is that there is a rare (or not so rare) fuel pump issue. Tech told me today that he knew of one other person with that problem and fixed it by changing the fuel pump.

Now, they also told me that the problem is going to have to get worse so that I can get the thing to duplicate for them. Which is ridiculous if the symptoms match up, but once problem duplicates and they can confirm, then I get a new fuel pump and hopefully my problem is solved.

Now what.........well, we play the waiting game. If you are experiencing the same symptoms, investigate the fuel pump.

hdjeff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there was a write up before on this problem, have them check the carrier bearing on the driveshaft, the older superduties have been known to shudder while under loads and this was a common fix. usually it needs shimed.

MURR3061

Full Access Member
Reaction score
white smoke?

have you noticed any white smoke? this happened to me last winter. the dealer changed the EGR valve and it never did it again. i still swore it was the tranny the whole time.

fordman08

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have noticed some white smoke. Again, this only happens when the truck has had a opportunity to heat up after being on the road for 60 miles or so. The more I drive the truck, the more it feels like the fuel pump is going out too. It falls on its face like it is starving for fuel. The dealership won't throw parts at it and can't diagnose the problem right now. Any helpful hints to speed the process up? Definitely white smoke, but not all the time. It will throw out the smoke when it starts to shutter, skip, or whatever, really bad.

crsig

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I posted some time back ago about what sounds close to your problem. Mine would start stumbling, missing, hesitating, shuttering etc. or what ever you want to call it while at about 2/3 throttle or more under load. This went on for maybe 30 or 40 miles. I noticed the truck going through a regen cycle and afterwards the problem went completely away. I asumed maybe filter was right at the sweet spot befor a regen and was maybe backing up the exhaust when under that much throttle. I know that might sound goofy,but emediatly after regen the problem went away.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58