Truck almost undrivable Clutch Grabs

dave0919

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Replaced the clutch 2 years ago but chater has been getting worse for a few months. Trying to back up the 5th wheel is almost impossible. It bucks so bad I think somthing will brake.

99 F350 SD 7.3 6 SPD 2 WD 72K miles Banks Stinger Kit Towing 30' Alpentite 13K Lbs.

jestersv

7.3 addict
Reaction score
what was the mileage on first clutch and why was it replaced did they/you replace the fork with the stronger fork is it chatter as you slip the clutch backing up whats it do in fwd gears

dave0919

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
First clutch was replaced at 64K due to low pedal and chattering. Clutch looked OK but it was out and not going back in. MC and slave finally solved to pronlem. Fork was not replaced, had to add machine screw to hold the fork on the ball pivot. Chatter is not so bad unloaded.

Pedal height is OK and release is good. The bucking violent and has been a problem for years, just getting worse

dieselmac99

Diesel Christian
Reaction score
YOu need to replace the fork. Ford is notorious for losing clutches and forks. Usually every 50,000 miles. dont replace it with stock ford parts, try and find higher quality aftermarket. Otherwise, at around 230k, you may need a new transmission. We have 4 1999 F250 and F350 7.3 PSD with MT, and have had this happen on every one of them between every 48 and 50k. Oh and BANKS is on 3 out of 4 of them.

Last edited:

BigRedJeep

Mind if I Smoke
Reaction score
i replaced my clutch and fork about 2 years ago with a stock style aftermarket and now it slips and chatters. going to replace it soon.

what clutch would be good for all around towing, dd, performance and durability ?

Frankenstien

Frankestien
Reaction score
Did you replace it with an oem Valeo, or did you go with a dual Friction type. and under the FWIW category when I back up to my fiver I almost always use low range... but since you have a 2wd this is not an option for you.... usually when the fork goes your foot goes to the floor, and you can do nothing to get it to return. Grabbing can also be a symptom of fluid on the clutch. check the area around your turbo for oil leaks, and the bottom of the bell housing, weak disk springs will accentuate the problem.

MBRPCrazyford

Eat Some Smoke
Reaction score
i replaced my clutch and fork about 2 years ago with a stock style aftermarket and now it slips and chatters. going to replace it soon.

what clutch would be good for all around towing, dd, performance and durability ?

SunCoast, Val-Air, and LUK all make good clutches. You just have to make sure to get one that will hold the power level that your truck is putting out.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg