Truck cuts out

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I've been having a slight "miss" in my truck and I've been trying to correct it. 2 days ago I changed the oil from Valvoline 10-30 to Rotella 15-40 with a K&N oil filter (The FRAM filter that wally world installed was maybe hand snugged)....I also change the air intake back to the factory cover. I was trying to shim the FPR up to 70, but I only have it up to 60psi (+1 psi over stock). The Fuel filter is about 2 weeks old and the truck has not been driven much as I have a problem with the front driver-side tire (in the shop right now). Also the CPS is about a month old. I no longer notice a miss at idel....

When I was on my way to the mechanic shop, the truck cut out twice for a split second. No dash lights or anything came on like it has before....doesn't seem to be a cps issue. It has also cut out the other day when I cranked it up after it had set for a couple of days. I have been running Standyne and diesel kleen in my fuel. I'm going to see if running it regularly to see if that clears it up or taking the chip back out, but I wanted to see if ya'll had any ideas what else it could be? I'm thinking that it does it around, or shortly after, I start it up after it has been setting for a day or two. Is it possible the fuel or oil is settling somewhere or leaking back untill it's started and gets a constant pressure?
Thanks for the help;tu

My home computer is down right now and I'm not sure when I can get back on so I wanted to get this question posted jic.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
maybe a wiggle test on the IDM wiring would be in order..
also, your chip may be loose

mark6403av

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are there any codes ? If you can check before you take the chip out. You said it cuts out not a surge (rm rm rm) They have a cool oil test if you ever think your oil is breaking down. Let the truck get warm. Then in park run it up to 3000 RPMs for 3 minutes. Turn the truck off and pull the oil dipstick if you see bubbles the oil is breaking down. The IDM is under the wheel well drivers side front.

Last edited:

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are there any codes ? If you can check before you take the chip out. You said it cuts out not a surge (rm rm rm) They have a cool oil test if you ever think your oil is breaking down. Let the truck get warm. Then in park run it up to 3000 RPMs for 3 minutes. Turn the truck off and pull the oil dipstick if you see bubbles the oil is breaking down. The IDM is under the wheel well drivers side front.

When I changed my oil (it had about 4-5000 miles on that oil) I did notice bubbles sitting on top in the bucket. But the oil in it now is maybe 20 miles on it...and it has cut out since then. Maybe it just needs to be ran farther on the new oil. Its in the shop right now getting the front driver side axle replaced:doh:

No on the CEL and I haven't been able to take it back to the diesel shop to get it scanned again for any other codes. When I'm able to get it out I'll check for bubbles, loose chip, and IDM. Is the IDM same thing as PCM. Because I read its a silver canister on the same side as the pcm. Let me see if I can't find a pic.....

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After reading around more online I got to thinking...

I was recently doing the FPR shim and it started raining. Maybe the IDM got wet?? Might be worth a try to fix, and if its not at least I got a spare I guess. I think my chip may have been screwing with it too because (back when I knew it all...or didnt) I was bad about switching the chip while I was driving and it would cause the truck to stumble and then pick back up, but my throttle didn't respond like it should. So I would disconnect the batteries ovenight hoping to reset everything and I guess it did.

Anyone got suggestions on where to get the IDM? I've read that the dealer wants about $1200 but you can get them from beans for $100 for an exchange. Any suggestions?

mark6403av

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The PCM is inside drivers front. The IDM you need to take the back side of the wheel well half way out and you"ll see it. It doesn't sound like a IDM. The bubbles you saw in the drain pan is just from being drained. The oil test is done with the truck running, and no need know because you have new oil. Ford spec on old oil causing running issues is to change the oil like you did and give it 200 miles. Then go forward if you have anyother problems. The truck didn't surge when you started it ?

Last edited:

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The PCM is inside drivers front. The IDM you need to take the back side of the wheel well half way out and you"ll see it. It doesn't sound like a IDM. The bubbles you saw in the drain pan is just from being drained. The oil test is done with the truck running, and no need know because you have knew oil. Ford spec on old oil causing running issues is to change the oil like you did and give it 200 miles. Then go forward if you have anyother problems. The truck didn't surge when you started it ?

What do you mean by surge? Only surge I am familiar with is turbo surge

mark6403av

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do you mean by surge? Only surge I am familiar with is turbo surge

Does the RPMS of the truck go up and down 300 RPMS when your start it. Sounds like rm rm rm.
Like if you were pushing the fuel pedal on and off fast.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14