Truck cuts out

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got my truck back today ($1315.63 later!!!)....

My accelerator is sluggish on the 50 and 75 chip setting but it acts right on the stock setting. So I set it in stock all the way back home. I noticed when I acclerated going down the road it didn't so much cut out, it just had a flutter in the acceleration. I googled "7.3 acceleration problem" and found a thread 7.3L acceleration problem - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

I haven't tried opening the valve with the truck running (will when I get home), but what would cause the truck to act differently with valve open vs closed? They seemed to have not figured out the problem on that thread. Could it be too much fuel pressure? Mine is at 60psi right now. CEL is not on..???

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...and I just read a thread with a guy with a similar issue and someone told him to put seafoam in the filter bowl (with no fuel in it...pure seafoam) and put the rest in the tank. I would be worried to try that....I gues when you start it up, the filter bowl gets packed with diesel anyways....but what exactly would that do.

And also, where is the ICP sensor located...could that be my problem?

mark6403av

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never heard of Sea Foam. So the truck in the stock setting, going down the road has a flutter ? is that like a miss, or surge ? The ICP is on top of the cylinder head, drivers front. I've had Fuel pedals go bad at only cruise. (there is no cable it sends a reading to the computer 0-5 volts) The switch goes bad witch is called a AP switch (accelerator pedal). That is easy to check, set the cruise and if the problem is gone it's the AP switch.

mark6403av

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never heard of Sea Foam. So the truck in the stock setting, going down the road has a flutter ? is that like a miss, or surge ? The ICP is on top of the cylinder head, drivers front. I've had Fuel pedals go bad at only cruise. (there is no cable it sends a reading to the computer 0-5 volts) The switch goes bad witch is called a AP switch (accelerator pedal). That is easy to check, set the cruise and if the problem is gone it's the AP switch.

I just Googled sea foam, they must of said that to clean injectors. I wouldn't if it's not for Diesel engines.

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score

The rpms dont surge (like you described)...its like....a flutter...like how sometimes your heart "stumbles"...it doesn't stop but gets out of beat a little....more like a miss.

So if I cruise down the road (with the cruise control) and it has to down shift going up a hill and it doesn't miss, then the AP switch is the problem?

mark6403av

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No the pedal wounldn't cause that. The only thing I've ever seen a 7.3 do. That felt like a miss. like a bad plug on a gas motor, is the High Pressure Oil Pump. The ones I've had. I had to take recordings of the ICP, and IPR. And you could see it. Can you get it to happen all the time ? or is it intermittent.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14