Truck doesn't want to start in park

McDizzle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck doesn't like to start in park as of lately just once in a while it will, so i have been dropping it in neutral to start it. Han anyone had this problem before? I was thinking theres a sensor going or the shift linkage is going. Anyone have any advice?:dunno

MBRPCrazyford

Eat Some Smoke
Reaction score
Sounds like a linkage could need adjusted. Have you noticed that it seemes like you have to move it to a different position than you think to get it in drive. Like, when you go to put it in drive and you think it's in, but you push the pedal and your really in neutral and then you have to move the shifter to get it in drive? If so, then it's more than likely the linkage. Also, if your reverse lights don't come on and you have to shake the shifter for them to come on is another sign. Hope this helps.

550roofer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
u can manually move the transmission case into park undernieth, if it is in park undernieth and on the column, then it could be a sensor. on my truck I broke a little piece of plastic that holds the shift linkage inplace near the tranny. had to replace the whole linkage, hahah, under warranty. but before i could take it in, i had to switch gears undernieth on the tranny. it was my 02 f150. i couldn't find park on the column, and all the gears were off by one position. to find drive i had to put it in nutral on the column.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58