Truck has issues only towing in cruise control?

rgjcc1

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
My 2006 6.0L F250 has issues only when I tow my 4500lb trailer in cruise control, the small wrench appears in my odometer screen, when i pull over and do a quick check, no leaks, no holes or anything. I start it up, it goes away and as long as i am not in cruise control, it does fine. Does anyone know what could possibly be causing this? how much do you think it could cost to repair?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
The wrench means you have a computer (PCM) problem. You need to have the truck scanned to determine the cause of your problem. Anything else is just guessing. Your dealer can do this for a service fee.

Dave

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
Do you have a performance chip on the truck?

Tbar

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
You might try cleaning the EGR valve. It is located next to the Intake Elbow and is held in with three or four 10mm bolts. I am guessing you have an EGR problem. Easy fix. Do a search here for "EGR Cleaning".

Dave

rgjcc1

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
thanks dave, when i bring it in for a oil change this week i will have them check it out. I was worried for a second because when i read the owners manual, it stated that the wrench meant immediate service to the engine. i am wondering about possibly some kind of banks power kit for it or can find something to help me out with the gas mileage on it, i get about 14.5 to 15 on the street and close to 19 on the highway. any recommendations for better fuel eco?

Rob

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I really can't recommend a chip for better mileage. I am running stock without any adders. Many here use a chip or tuner and they will chip in with their recommendations. Your mileage is good to great for stock. I would not buy Banks as they are way too expensive, and there are better kits.

Dave

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
thanks dave, when i bring it in for a oil change this week i will have them check it out. I was worried for a second because when i read the owners manual, it stated that the wrench meant immediate service to the engine. i am wondering about possibly some kind of banks power kit for it or can find something to help me out with the gas mileage on it, i get about 14.5 to 15 on the street and close to 19 on the highway. any recommendations for better fuel eco?

Rob

As Dave said, Banks is overpriced and not all that great. Really your mileage isn't bad. You could possibly gain from a FICM/ PCM rollback from PHP.

majek5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want a power adder, the general consensus for the 6.0 is the SCT with custom tunes. You will have a perma-grin as a result of the added power. People say that the higher hp tunes will give you the best mileage increase. Me personally, can't keep my foot out of it to get better mileage. But hell, its fun! :sweet

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would kill for fuel mileage like that, and most others would also.
Doug

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
14.5 to 15 on the street and close to 19 on the highway is not bad at all. I was getting 16 +/-city and 21+/- hwy, but I had a SCT tuner and exhaust work done.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58