Truck has issues only towing in cruise control?

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
but how long did your engine last? just saying.

That was the first motor it had 128k on it. The motor had a crack in number 8 cyl. from casting. Nothing I did. The second motor the block was fine the problem was heads. Even the dealership could not figer out how the heads were lifting with ARP studs. I still think there was a crack in one of the heads and I think I know were it was. But the truck still did great on mileage.

shhorn68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have never used the cruise control while hauling, but I cannot believe that alone would cause the "wrench" light illuminate. Dave is right many dealers and part stores will scan your truck and give you the results. The downside is sometimes the result can be pretty vauge. Did you notice any fuel pressure drop or smoke with the wrench light?

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My under standing is the wrench will come on if there is a trans. problem too. But the tow light will flashing if there is a code set. All the tow switch does is change the psi of the trans. shifts points and engage the tow brake when towing. I'm thinking you could have a shift valve problem or a converter lock up problem. Have you had the trans. power flushed? Should be done every 50K miles. I have a rebiuld book on this trans. I'll see if there anything in there on your problem.

Last edited:

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you tow do you feel or hear the tow brake come on when your slowing down? I cant remember, I think the tow mode also changes the vains on the turbo so the motor build back pressure witch is why the motor get really quit when your in tow mode.
This would give you the wrench to.
I could be wrong here in my thinking. Please correct me if I'm wrong in the thinking of this.

Last edited:

sbiggi

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
When you tow do you feel or hear the tow brake come on when your slowing down? I cant remember, I think the tow mode also changes the vains on the turbo so the motor build back pressure witch is why the motor get really quit when your in tow mode.
This would give you the wrench to.
I could be wrong here in my thinking. Please correct me if I'm wrong in the thinking of this.

The motor gets quiet because the torque convert is locked up, and when you let off the pedal no fuel is being sprayed in because the pcm is attempting to lower the revs. Its just compression braking, helps with fuel mileage and slowing down.

Last edited:

Zmann ARGH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That makes sense because what you don't hear is the clack of injectors firing

jetallman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm reading with great interest because I am now having the same problem with my 05 F250. It only happens one time then after pulling over and restarting it goes away for a couple of hundred miles, I notice mine more as I am going uphill and it is down shifting then the RPM's drop, wrench light comes on and giving it more pedal does not help. I pull a 13000lb 5th wheel camper.

jetallman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I called ford about this issue today, the wrench is for the electronic throttle control, since mine only does this with the one trailer they tell me it is either a short in a trailer wire or a brake controller that is bad, since both are new and I never had this problem before I tend to side with them. If left unchecked it will fry the ecm. I also spoke with the camper service dept, they say it is a brake issue, either with the truck brake switch, brake controller or the trailer wiring itself, I was given a testing procedure to do and am going to try that today.

dpantazis

Reaction score
do you have an in-bed trailer light hookup?

i may be wrong, but i thought there was a ground wire problem with those in the 6.0's.

if you don;t mind, can you summarize the testing procedure and what you determined form it?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58