truck is dead!!

WhiteFX4nTN

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I've replaced both batteries, and the alternator. 1 battery was replaced yesterday, the alternator the day before, and the other battery is maybe 2 months old. I had everything retested yesterday and everything tested like new. 2 mornings in a row, the truck has been completely dead. No lights will come on at all. I've searched hoping to find an easy answer, but can't seem to find the type of issue i'm lookin for. Anyone who can help would be greatly appreciated!

snicklas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
What is the truck? Specs please, any mods......

I had a similar problem on my 6.0, had a marginal batter that would not keep a charge and would eventually kill the alt.

On a 6.0 the fuel heater can cause a drain. Do you have any aftermarket stereo equipment?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
WhiteFX4nTN, fill out your signature by going to the USER CP in the Blue Line next to Forums. Click on Edit Signature and tell us about your truck and where you live. This will help us better help you.

Dave :)

Bad Night

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If both batteries load test good (unhooked and independent from one another)then check all battery connections , especially the grounds . If all is good there you will need to start looking for where the draw is . You can do this by removing fuses one at a time and testing with an amp probe to see if any circuits are drawing amperage with the ignition off . When you find one determine what it is and go from there to figure out why .

First load test the batteries because one bad battery can kill the other and cause this exact symptom .

WhiteFX4nTN

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
ok, thanks to everyone for the tips. I will get my sig filled out in just a min so everyone will know better in the future. thanks for that suggestion. As of now, all fuses have been checked. Batteries and alternator were all tested yesterday for a 3rd time to make sure nothing was being overlooked, and all tested perfect. Therefore, I know the 2 month old battery is good. Thanks for that suggestion though. I've already gone through every fuse in the truck with voltage test to see if I could find a draw, and can't find a single thing. I've checked all grounds that I can find, and still no luck. I really dont know where else to look, or what else to try. I'm taking the truck in to the dealership in the morning to let them overlook it. I'm normally pretty good with electrical issues, but i've tried everything that I can think of with no luck!!

Also, the only aftermarket stereo equipment in the truck is a Pioneer Premier h/u. I have checked it as well, and nothing abnormal with it either.

Last edited:

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before I go to the dealer. I'd pull all the relays and fuses undo the batts. run a volt meter from pos. on one batt. to the pos leed, leaving the other batt undone. Then putting the fuses and relays in one at a time untill the meter start showing a laod. The doors on the truck have to be shut so the lights are not on and the key is off. Pull the light under the hood too. The dealer will do the samething too, then stick you with a 500 bucks in a bill. Note the fuses and relays that pull a load and go from there. This test works best with two people.

Im thinking sound system problem or fuel heater.

Good luck

Bdons SD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a random thing that I never knew that happened to me.... the battery in my key fob went dead and apparently the remote was sending off a slight signal and "confused" The receiver and the relays were going all night, not locking or unlocking, thus draining the battery completely dead. Not a light or a click in the whole damn thing. replaced the remote battery and all was good.

I would go with checking each relay for a power draw, then double checking that aftermarket H/U. I usually leave the dealer for a last resort, and even then I usually take it to my local guy that we take our whole fleet to.

Dealers are full of boneheads and highprices most of them time.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
well now, what I would do...
is unhook the alternator at the alternator, both the charge wire and the regulator plug..

and both batteries..

see if and what goes dead then..

if nothing, then hook up the right battery first... if it dies, you have a current draw..

if it doesn't die overnight, then the left battery... if it's dead then, your left battery is junk..

if they stay up, you have a shorted diode in the alternator and there's your current draw..

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well now, what I would do...
is unhook the alternator at the alternator, both the charge wire and the regulator plug..

and both batteries..

see if and what goes dead then..

if nothing, then hook up the right battery first... if it dies, you have a current draw..

if it doesn't die overnight, then the left battery... if it's dead then, your left battery is junk..

if they stay up, you have a shorted diode in the alternator and there's your current draw..

X2 on what JLD said.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58