Help Needed truck sputters when cold and has tons of new parts what is wrong?

fordforlife

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
i have a 2003 ford f-350 with 125000 miles less than four thousand on new motor and pretty much everything else under the hood is new. now the issue is my mechanic has installed three sets of injectors and now on the third set, the truck runs rough until it warms up. now the mechanic is saying bad fuel is causing the injectors to fail. i have a edge evolution programmer and no dtcs come up. any ideas on why my truck is running rough on start up? thanks

Rev AutoWorks

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I see on your stats page it is a 6.0?
Did your mechanic check your FICM output?
Does he have the HICKOK G2 tester to graph the spool valve action? Most dealers and shops don't have it, nice tool. I have it here at the shop, shows FICM voltage and spool valve delay times and more.......but anyways.
Sounds like typical FICM voltage/spool valve issues to me.

fordforlife

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
my mechanic had the truck for a little over a week and went through the ficm but found no problems i can tell u anything bout a gas burner, but im learning slowly on a diesel. not tryin to sound like a smartaxx, but what is the difference of the spooling valves on the injectors from when they are cold and when they are hot? thanks

Rev AutoWorks

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
The difference is tolerance, the valve shuttle between two coils side to side. So when the injector is hotter the tolerance open up just a little bit to ease the sliding, that was the why ford had the idea for the induction programming in the FICM.
Where is your mechanic getting injectors? Not all companies test the spool valves very well. Most just reman the fuel end, clean it and send it out.
Only a couple places I will order injectors from because of that.

fordforlife

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
the mechanic has been gettin the injectors from rusty eck ford in wichita. but i just found out after i installed my edge evolution programmer, that my oil temp is running through the roof (118-130 degrees), and my coolant temp is stayin around 190 degrees so i know i need to get a new oil cooler, where would you recommend i get one, and do you think that might be causing some of the problems? i am doin the mechanic work myself because i caught the mechanic in a lie. so who knows what all he did and has supposedly done to the truck. lol

Rev AutoWorks

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Sorry, those readings don't make a lot of sense to say the cooler is bad, eot is tested under full load generally after the truck has warmed up.
Oil cooler failures show as eot heading higher than coolant, but it is common for it to be close to coolant temp.that is why I say your reading look odd.
If the mech has not been straight with you then a recheck of the FICM would be suggested.
If the oil cooler is original wouldn't be a bad idea, since the hipop screen is likely blown anyways.
I install the kit from ford, as a former Ford senior master I believe in oe for lots of things, and I get a petty decent discount. Win win for me and the shop, lol.

fordforlife

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
okay when im driving empty 65 mph my ect reads 190-194, and my eot reads 128-132. thats driving down the highway with no trailer on and nothing in the back. so should i be worried and what might the problem be if the oil temp is that high?

fordforlife

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
and the mechanic says he put a new oil cooler on soooo i dont know for sure until he can come up with all the receipts i am a bit worried. guess he found a sucker when i walked into his shop door

Rev AutoWorks

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Those eot readings are low, so no worries there.
Only an issue when goes above your coolant temp by more than 15 degrees

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58