truck surging idle and occasional stalling?

dawiz

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
well i took the tuner off friday in prepertation of taking it to the dealer and its still doing it so at least i ruled that out. i called and talked to the service rep and fortunatly he has sold me cars in the past and said i "should" be ok with exhaust on the truck. i do still have the egt sensor in the manifold. i couldnt find a cap to fit to cap it off. ill just insist it must have been there when i bought the truick or ill say i have a egt guage for long towing trips.

B-ill

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
So what's the verdict?
Did you take it into the dealer and what did they do...???

bling821

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess the EGR can do all sorts of funny things but when my messed up a couple of weeks ago it didn't ever surge. I saw lower boost pressure and 100+ degrees lower on exhaust temperature. A little sluggish on accelerating but no surging. I wouldn't rule out the EGR but if it was stuck or gunked up I think you might have symptoms similar to what I had.

BTW, you can get different answers from everyone here about voiding the warranty with aftermarket parts but mine had the gauges listed below and no cat and nothing was said. Just depends on the tech that does the work. Who knows, he may have thought it was cool and didn't worry about it but there is no way he didn't see the gauge pod above the rear view. I don't know where the EGR is so I don't know if he got under there and saw the delete pipe but since that is emissions equipment, he could have refused to do the work. It all comes down to the tech I guess.(ie. how redneck he is :D )

jschikore

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Truck Surging and Bucking

I had the same problem with mu 04 6.0 about a year ago. I would come to a stop and the truck would lurch forward and the RPM's would rise and fall rapidly. I had the EGR replaced along with a plethera of related equipment and it did not work.

Finally I took the truck to a dealer that knew what they were doing. The fix was a new computer program from Ford. After the program was loaded into the truck I have not had any problems.

rsjohnsn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HI all, I just wanted to throw in that my truck does the same thing but it doesn't do it until I reach around 5000 miles on the oil. The problem will get worse the longer I go and it will absolutely go away after I change the oil. I'm not saying that this is your problem but it does solve mine.

Scott

B-ill

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I had the surging thing about 2 years ago, ('04 6.0...) They replaced the EGR harness and FISM harness and problem went away, till last month... Surging was getting to be real safety concern, jumping in parking lots or in heavy traffic... nearly took out my garage door..!!!
Went round and round with service writer and then tech... "We're professionals, we KNOW what we're doing..." finally pushed them to look at wiring and monitoring for irradic sensors... found ICP throwing spikes occaisonally after warming up and loading for awhile... Hopefully this'll be the end of the problem....

B-ill

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
should throw a code for that.

SHOULD do a lot of things..... Never has thrown any codes with any of the surges and stalls that have occurred.

It's been almost two weeks and the problem has not returned.....

dawiz

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
sorry i never got back in here but the truck was in the shop three times for this before they figured it out.

first time the replaced a glow plug harness. that worked for about a week.
second time they replaced a fouled glow plug. three day fix.
third time. they replace the entire engine harness. today is three weeks. the truck feels so much better. i waited two wekks before putting the tuner back on and man. im not sure if the truck was down on power all along but i gotta tell you the ****ing thing pulls so much better now with the tuner.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
castellscl