Question Turbo popping off-Loosing boost

jr9767

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have an 03 6.0 with an Edge programmer on setting 4. When going a steady 75mph down the freeway, the EGT's will get up to around 1100 and then the Turbo will start popping off, loosing boost and blowing black smoke. Also when the EGT's start getting high, i get constant light smoke then turbo will start popping off. I don't experience this with around town driving, only when at a constast faster speed or when pulling a load. Anybody have any ideas on what could cause this?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
What does it do when you turn OFF the Edge??? 1220 degrees is the melting point of pistons. Do not run at or over 1200 degrees for more than a few seconds (like 3 - 5 seconds). And what do you mean when you say "Turbo will start popping off"?

Dave

Last edited:

jr9767

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
when i turn it to stock it will not do it, but i also had a bullydog programmer on it and it would do the same thing, thats why i think it has something to do with the extra boost. it will only do it at the higher speeds going down the freeway

thesheenster

Ford Fan
Reaction score
There used to be issues with the hose clamps. Search the Ford sites for service bulletins. On another note I would like to know where the 1200 deg info came from. My 2006 F350 will run 1350 stock at the manifold.

snicklas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
1250 Degrees is the temperature at which Aluminum melt. The heads, pistons and other parts in the engine are aluminum, or an aluminum alloy. If you keep the ETG's above 1250 degrees to long, you and start to deform, or melt parts. I know that even going back to the old IDI's they say do not go above 1200....... Also as Dave said.... you can exceede this for short bursts..... just a few seconds and then you need to back out of it an let it cool down..... how long does you 06 stay at 1350, what, if any mods have you done to the truck. I would think that if it was BONE STOCK, that it would never reach those temperatures in normal usage (towing, driving, etc) since Ford would program the truck to not run that hot for warrenty purposes... They would not let it keep fueling, or boosting to that level since they would not want to cause a warrrenty repair......... If the truck has been modified, or has some other issue, it may go that high, however, just because it will do that high, doesn't mean that it is ok to do so.....

jr9767

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
going down the freeway at 75, or pulling a load, truck will loose all boost, gauge goes to 0 on boost and blows black puffs of smoke, under the hood when it looses boost it you can hear it. it looses boost for just a split second and then it is right back but the more fuel i give it the more frequent it happens, so it's like it is hesitating (or loosing compleat boost) every 3 to 4 seconds, it happens untill i let off the throttle

Last edited:

bigrigr

Real trks hv 3 pdls
Reaction score
Sounds like a intercooler boot popping off, check all you're connections and make sure they don't pull off with a tug. Bet one is loose,but not all the way off till you get high in the boost. could even have a split in the boots that bleeds off under high pressure. :eek:

thesheenster

Ford Fan
Reaction score
snicklas:
My 06 has an Edge Juice Platnum w/Attitude and this is the only reason I'm able to verify the exhaust temps (EGT sensor is in the manifold). I have set it up to show EGT's and backdown. The truck will backdown on it's own while in the stock mode. Pulling my 5th wheel in the Colorado Mtn's with the cruise set I have seen it hit 1350 and hold for some time. The Edge will show me that it starts backing down when I start going above this temp and reach around 1370 (I have seen 1390 for short bursts). Keep in mind that I stated this is in the stock mode. I can't pull the hills in other modes without it hitting these temps to quickly. This was all verified before I made slight mods. The only mods done to the truck are a K&N air filter and a gut cat with no muffler to follow (complete straight pipe turbo back) with stock pipe size now fitted with a PacBrake. I have spoken with the dealer and was told that the 6.0 runs higher exhaust temps than the 7.3 did.

Not arguing, just stating what I've seen.

The truck is a 06 auto, Crew Cab, Long Bed Dually with the Tow Boss package. Fully loaded on the scale pulling just shy of 23,500#.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58