Turbo Problem

pstroker

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Guys, I appreciate any help you can give me. I just spend the weekend changing the EGR cooler hose, the little orange one under the turbo, and the ICP sensor on my 03 6.0L. I had to remove the Turbo in 2 pieces because the bolts securing it to the bracket were seized, and there was no other way. I put it all back together and crossed my fingers. The engine seems to work fine, but unfortunately the turbo sounds like its dragging. I know its spinning freely, but I cant figure out what could be causing the sound. I drove the truck a few miles and I dont think I am getting any power from the turbo. I appreciate any help.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
could be the VGT vanes...they might be hitting...if they are im afraid
youll be looking at replacing or rebuilding the turbo.

pstroker

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
gonna pull the turbo again. Anything I need to keep in mind? Didn't seem to be too hard the first time, aside from the seized bolts.

Then again, it also isn't working the same, so I guess its harder than I thought.

pstroker

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
actually looked at both of those links already. I appreciate the help. If I end up replacing the turbo, I would appreciate any suggestions on which ones I should look at as a replacement. I would like to keep it as close to stock as possible. A slight upgrade wouldn't bother me, though, as long as I didn't have to reprogram the computer or do a lot of tuning.

pstroker

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Just in case anyone is actually reading this thread, I found out that my turbo problem was that one of the clamps holding the turbo and the exhaust manifold together wasnt on good, and it was causing an exhaust leak at the turbo that sounded alot like metal dragging against the inside of the turbo. Seriously, if I didn't stick my head against the turbo and get a nose full of exhaust, I would have ended up taking the turbo out again. Make sure those clamps are on good and everything is lined up perfectly.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
I found out that my turbo problem was that one of the clamps holding the turbo and the exhaust manifold together wasnt on good, and it was causing an exhaust leak at the turbo that sounded alot like metal dragging against the inside of the turbo.

Good find!:sweet

PSD POWER007

Full Access Member
Reaction score
actually looked at both of those links already. I appreciate the help. If I end up replacing the turbo, I would appreciate any suggestions on which ones I should look at as a replacement. I would like to keep it as close to stock as possible. A slight upgrade wouldn't bother me, though, as long as I didn't have to reprogram the computer or do a lot of tuning.

I would like some input on this statement. My turbo is sticking a little when towing now. I will probably just take it off and try cleaning it, but I am still going to look at every option first.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
castellscl