Turbo Problem

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
psdpower007- can you explain "sticking" ? whats the boost gauge showing ?

PSD POWER007

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sometimes when towing, I can only make about 10lbs of boost and the EGT's go way high. I can let off of the throttle, let the boost drop to zero and then get back into the throttle and all is fine. It's just gotten to where it happens much more frequently lately. Truck has right at 100k miles and nothing has ever been done to the turbo before.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sometimes when towing, I can only make about 10lbs of boost and the EGT's go way high. I can let off of the throttle, let the boost drop to zero and then get back into the throttle and all is fine. It's just gotten to where it happens much more frequently lately. Truck has right at 100k miles and nothing has ever been done to the turbo before.

hummm whats the stready crusing (while towing) like....erratic boost ?
bucking ? a bit of puffing smoke ?

sounds like you could be have an egr valve issue.

any way to see if any codes are set ?

next time it does it...pull over, shut the truck off, disconnect the egr
valve (shutting off the truck confirms that the egr valve is closed)...
restart the truck and drive on....see if the issue is resolved.

(disconnecting the egr valve will set some codes....egr outta range
stuff...if you have a california emmissions truck youll also get a
CEL or SES light turned on in the dash).

PSD POWER007

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No bucking or smoking, just no power and no boost. MAx boost will be around 10psi and EGT's will shoot up to 12-1300's steady. This is at interstate speeds between 60-80mph. Then, when I let off of the throttle and allow the boost to come down to 0, and roll back into the throttle, all is fine until the next time. Will usually only do it about twice per 200 mile trip. I'll pull my EGR valve and see what it looks like. It was just replaced about 20k miles ago.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what happens if you pull the tuner off, and run it stock ?
(the tuner might be hiding any REAL codes).

based on the boost symptoms it could be VGT solenoid related...
generally when the VGT solenoid sticks youll see excessive (over)
boost and no GO.

the HIGH EGT and low boost is similar a symptom i had when my EGR
valve was bad....it could be stuck vanes (closed) or VGT solenoid sticking

when you start the truck in do you hear the exhaust pitch change (once
the oil pressure reaches the VGT solenoid the pitch of the
exhaust should change as the VGT commands the change in the Vanes.)

PSD POWER007

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't really took notice of exhaust note changes at start up. I'll listen out tomorrow as well as checking the EGR valve.

PSD POWER007

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pulled my EGR out a little while ago. Man was I surprised. It was replaced about 30K miles ago when I had all of my puking taken care of. Ford replaced the EGR & oil coolers, EGR valve, heads, and installed ARP head bolts. Anyway, the EGR valve was very clean to have 30K miles on it, even inside of the cooler was cleaner than I expected. The shocker was, both of my O-rings were broken. I know this didn't happen when I was taking the EGR out either, because the o-ring groove was sooted up heavily where the rings were broken and the rings themselves were pretty much dry rotted if you will. Only time will tell if this is the culprit of my turbo problem. I know Bush knows his stuff, so I'm going feel pretty good about this fixing the problem. Give the Ford tech a hand for not taking his time putting the EGR valve back in.:clap:
My turbo proble did start right after having all of this work done and has been gradually getting worse. FWIW

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Install new o-rings and base gasket supplied in the EGR o-ring kit, Ford part number 3C3Z-9P455-AB, and re-install the valve.

PSD POWER007

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Install new o-rings and base gasket supplied in the EGR o-ring kit, Ford part number 3C3Z-9P455-AB, and re-install the valve.

I had the wife go to the Ford dealership and pick up the o-ring kit while I finished cleaning the EGR. Went back in without any problems. A little lube on the o-rings and all is well.:sweet
We'll see what she does next week on my tow up to NE Tennessee. As I said before, the turbo only acts up when towing. And it all started after the warranty work was done.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah...sounds more like the egr every time you mention it....
mine was fine when i was NOT towing...but as soon as i put even
the lightest load on i started having issues.

eventually it got to the point that i had problems empty too.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
castellscl