Turbo studder

Sleeper Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
do you mean a "whoosh" sound bewteen shifts. i believe that is the turbo relieving extra pressure and the p/s turbos dont have a blow off valve. so i think the sound you here is the turbo blowing off pressure between shifts

bartman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The woosh sound is turbo stall, the studder I believe would be surge.

bartman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To fix surge, a wicked wheel or a ported housing would need to be put on. The surge is worse than stall as it loads up the bearings (bushings in the case of the stocker) in the turbo decreasing it's life.

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
The whoosh isn't as bad as the schh..schh..schh. The surge will kill a stock turbo. ATS housing will stop it, anti-surge compressor wheel is a band aid.

You can drive to where it doesn't do it. It generally happens when the engine is around 1700 rpms and under load making boost. Either back out of the throttle or down shift to bring rpms up.

pleace69

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have a brand new wicked wheel [anti-surge compressor wheel] for sale if you want to go in the direction. I had the same problem as you have with surge i went with the ats turbo housing and love it. No surge at all no matter what rpm and no matter what i am hauling.

Lord Tauk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the sound more like, "Chug-Chug-Chug" but really quick?

You mention when it shifts, so how could the turbo be surging worse when the trans is shifting less than when you're up in higher boost constant heavy throttle?

I also say it's the turbo relieving pressure out through the intake during a shift since the RPMs aren't constant while it's shifting... therefore a drop in boost, and in the higher boost levels it's going to make a little noise besides the typically "whoooooshhhhh" as if you were just cruising around.

Haven't ruled out belt slip too?

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
Is the sound more like, "Chug-Chug-Chug" but really quick?

You mention when it shifts, so how could the turbo be surging worse when the trans is shifting less than when you're up in higher boost constant heavy throttle?

The shift would be bringing the engine into the surge RPM range...around 1500-1700 revs. If it's cyclical sound kinda like a rattle snake it's surge. The whoosh is the same thing just not cyclical and not as damaging. Stall only happens when there's a throttle plate slammed closed and boost backs up in the intake tract causing the shaft to stop spinning and make kind of a popping sound. PSDs won't stall since there's no throttle plate to cause it. Read a good book on turbos for a better explanation.

ATS housings can be purchased from Bean's or ITP which are both site sponsors.:sweet

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg