Turbo surge

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
are you sure the variable vane mechanism isnt stuck
mine did the same thing and they swapped out a new center bearing and support and a new hot side, the mechanism had gotten all choked up and STUCK, unless you got on it then it would work fine until teh next sit a few days and then drive episode.

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
are you sure the variable vane mechanism isnt stuck
mine did the same thing and they swapped out a new center bearing and support and a new hot side, the mechanism had gotten all choked up and STUCK, unless you got on it then it would work fine until teh next sit a few days and then drive episode.

PB, this has crossed my mind too. I am not sure, but will be finding out.

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
PB, this has crossed my mind too. I am not sure, but will be finding out.

I went by the dealer today and talked for a few minutes with the head diesel tech to discuss my turbo surge. Right off the bat he said it sounded like to him that it had a lot of carbon build-up. He also felt the high pitch whine could be the shaft being a little loosey goosey.

He did mention that at least now you can re-build instead of going new and that it would be good as new.

I am going to try and do this on my own. I got busy today and removed all of the air intake, degaus bottle and the FICM (which I am going to send off to get re-tuned while it is out).

I need some help on what else I need to remove to get the turbo out. I really don't want to have to take out the air intake manifold if at all necessary.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, if someone could point me in the right direction as to some online instructions or pictures I can see of a turbo removal on a 6.0

MiamiPSD

"GO CANES"
Reaction score
Bama........U think you might have a leak in one of the seals? :dunno Also, what was the reason for the other turbo's to go bad?

strokepower

Stroke=Power
Reaction score
when i removed my turbo all i took out was the intake/boost tubes.... i also had my dad helping me so there were 4 hands instead of two... getting it out isn't a problem.. getting her back in is kinda tricky though

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
when i removed my turbo all i took out was the intake/boost tubes.... i also had my dad helping me so there were 4 hands instead of two... getting it out isn't a problem.. getting her back in is kinda tricky though

Did that also include the air intake manifold, oil & fuel filers. They look like they are in the way too.

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Crap, If I need one I'll call you.....LOL Dealer here wants $1500.00 cash and karry.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58