Turn Signal Cancel Mod

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
Turn Signal Cancel Mod-- NOW WITH PICTURES!!! (see below)

Recently I was having problems with my turn signals. It turned out to be the plug connector was coming loose from the switch.

I decided as long as I was in there already, I'd do something about an irritating characteristic of the turn signals.

I'm sure about everybody has noticed that when activating your turn signal, it will cancel with a turn of the steering wheel of only about 1/8 turn. I found this to be very annoying. If you turned your signal on, and then made a lane change into a turning lane, the signal would cancel.

When I had removed the turn signal switch, I saw there was a plastic collar on the steering shaft. There were two lobes on the collar at about 8 o'clock and 10 o'clock position. The turn signal switch's cancellation button normally is between the two when the wheels are straight ahead. Turn the wheel slightly, and the lobes would contact the cancellation button and cancel the turn signal.

What I did was take a flat screwdriver heated with a torch and melt those two lobes down so they would no longer cancel the turn signal. The other cancellation lobes on the far side still function. But now the turn signals will only cancel with about 1/3 to 1/2 turn of the wheel.

I find this to be far less maddening and much more driver friendly. I was surprised how easy it was to do. I've been wanting to "fix" the turn signals for years, but mistakenly thought I'd have to pull the steering wheel to do it.
Removing the column covers, ignition key cylinder and turn signal switch assembly only took about 10 minutes. Take about 5 minutes to do the mod itself and another 15 minutes to put it all back together, and I have to say it was all very quick, easy and worth while.

Last edited:

bigrigr

Real trks hv 3 pdls
Reaction score
Oh I have been waiting for this one! That in and of itself can make a man buy a chevy or dodge. I hate that "ford" characteristic so bad. Thanks for the info tailgunner, put that on the wiki. ;tu

hawkdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good info! I hate how they cancel so quick. I'll have to do this mod when I pull the interior out to clean this spring.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
Turn signals what are those?:lmao
Those are those blinky things that I seldom see used when I travel below da bridge to troll-vania. :roflmao

I will have to remember this if I ever have the steering colum apart.
That's what I thought for years. But I think saying "taking the column apart" over states the difficulty of the project. To be more accurate, all you have to do is remove a couple of covers from the top & bottom of the column (about 4 screws), remove the ignition key cylinder and two screws for the trun signal switch assembly.

Experience has shown me it is so easy to do that it can be done in much less than an hour. In hindsight, the benefit was well worth the effort of doing, even if having no other reason to "take the column apart".

On edit: I might "reenact" the process some day and take some pics for a wiki acticle. Think I could call it the Tail gunner mod? :lmao:innocent

Last edited:

Yooper75

Boost Junky
Reaction score
Those are those blinky things that I seldom see used when I travel below da bridge to troll-vania. :roflmao

That's what I thought for years. But I think saying "taking the column apart" over states the difficulty of the project. To be more accurate, all you have to do is remove a couple of covers from the top & bottom of the column (about 4 screws), remove the ignition key cylinder and two screws for the trun signal switch assembly.

Experience has shown me it is so easy to do that it can be done in much less than an hour. In hindsight, the benefit was well worth the effort of doing, even if having no other reason to "take the column apart".

I will probably tackle this project when I have the dash taken apart to install my Whelen strobe kit.

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
Well, there you have it. Before long the entire world will know this as
The Tail Gunner Turn Signal Cancellation Mod. (we gotta come up with a shorter name) :D

OH, BTW :rock and WorthLess

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58