Turn Signal Cancel Mod

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
time for a tiki

Maybe I can re-enact the process tomorrow with a camera.

But #1 on my "to do" list is to run some forms & paperwork for going back to school and the Michigan worker retraining program. I gotta figure out how to pay for school. I got a letter from my Congressman yesterday. Guess I'm S.O.L. on getting my expired GI Bill benefits re-instated. :rant I guess if you want money from the government, being a vet ain't good enough, you need to be an AIG exec.

bigrigr

Real trks hv 3 pdls
Reaction score
How Bout the TGB Mod! (tailgunner blinky) . Some of the most usefull info I've found on this site, except the cheese food info! Can't wait for a spare hour to take care of this big annoyance. I personally want to send you another round of whatever cold one your drinking tailgunner! :sweet

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
Well, here it is, the turn signal mod!!

To start, disconnecting the batteries is a good idea.:sweet

Next: CENTER THE STEERING WHEEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now, lower tilt wheel column to lowest position. Remove the lever for the steering column tilt.
View attachment 9722

Next, remove 3 screws from the lower cover under the steering column & remove underside column cover. A #2 phillips screwdriver works here.
View attachment 9723

Now you get to remove the ignition key cylinder. First turn it to the "RUN" position. Then underneath, push the lock detent up/in to release the key cylinder and remove it. (It won't come out unless it's in the "RUN" position.)
View attachment 9724

Remove the upper column cover and slide it over the gear shift lever. I found this a bit easier to do if the column tilt is in the lowest position.
View attachment 9725

Remove the upper & lower mounting screws for the turn signal switch assembly. These are T-15 torx screws.
View attachment 9726

View attachment 9727

Now you can see the cancelling button on the turn signal switch.
View attachment 9728

Here are the lobes that depress the cancelling button. You can see how close they are to the cancel button when the steering wheel is in the straight & centered position. That's why it takes so little wheel movement to cancel the turn signal. There are two others just like them on the opposite side. You need to make sure you are looking at the correct ones. Hence the need to ensure the steering wheel is centered.
View attachment 9733

Prepare your weapon. I chose a contact melting device to lessen the chance of cracking the plastic collar as with a cutting or grinding device. Besides, a melting device won't throw plastic "sawdust" all over. I heated the screwdriver tip to "red hot".
View attachment 9730

Using the hot screwdriver, I just melted the lobe and removed it from the plastic collar on the steering shaft.
View attachment 9731

When done, it should be reduced in height enough to where it no longer contacts the cancelling button on turn signal switch.
View attachment 9732

Now re-install the turn signal switch. Move the turn signal lever for a right or left turn. Turn the steering wheel back & forth about 1/8 turn from center. If the turn signal does not cancel, you have succeeded.

Now just put everything back together. It's the opposite of disassembly. I had some concerns with putting the covers back on. As it turned out, the screws pulled the halves together very nicely.

Don't forget to hook the batteries back up.

You be done. :clap::thumbs:sauced

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg