Two new problems A/C Vents and Locks

orion_134

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your truck has the shift on the fly hubs, and you don't hear the vacuum pump turn on when you first switch the key on before you start the truck, then you most likely have a vacuum leak somewhere in the hubs. If not the hoses, then it will be the oil/vacuum seal between the hub assembly and axle. It's actually behind the hub bearing assembly. Or, the o-rings around the hub bearing assembly or around the 4x4 hub.
As for the locks, I bought mine the same way (actually when I bought my 99 it had both symptoms...weird...). Buy the lock actuators from Ford, they are about $60-75. Get a flashlight and a thick flathead. It is easier to break out the old actuators than to try to pry them out, they are held in by little clips. Just pry up on it and it will break off, then slide the new one in until it clicks. I think there may be a bolt that holds them in as well..can't remember, be sure to reinsert the lock rod and electrical connection. Make sure to check them before you put the door back together.
HTH,
Jesse

01Extreme69

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine has the manual 4X4 shift, so no vacuum to them. I had took it to my buddy at Twisted Diesel last night and he said it was the electrical vacuum pump, located on the just about the right fender well in the motor compartment. I called a few diffrent auto parts stores and everyone thinks that I am crazy cause its not belt driven. So I think I have to order it from the factory, which sucks cause its 140 bucks. But as far as I know, the A/C vents is all that it controls. Which is kind of weird.

Thanks orion for the info on the door locks. I think that is exactly what I am going to do. Sound like its pretty easy.

01Extreme69

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, check this out. I fixed the problem. I went to take out the vacuum pump today so I could take it and get a new one. Well, as I began to take it out, I thought to myself, "Self, turn the ignition on and check to make sure power is going to it atleast"! So I grabbed the voltmeter and sure enough power was there. Well I plugged it back in to the pump and bamm there is was. There is a little silicone/rubber gasket inside the connector. Well I guess some how it had slid out of its spot and wedged itself in between the connectors which stopped the current. So I checked to make sure everything worked. And it worked great. So I saved myself 200 bucks by checking it with the voltmeter. Thank you to everyone that had helped me with this. The door locks are next on the list of things to do after the gauges.
Thanks again.

:thumbs
:gimme

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
Oddly enough that has happened to me..........unplug to check for voltage..........plug it back in and it starts working again.

Tbar

06PSD

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
When I had my `99 F-250, the A/C or Heat not blowing thru the vents was a sure fire symptom that the vacuum pump wasn't working. Without the vacuum pump, the FWD won't switch in either. `99's were notorious for failing vacuum pumps as they were real cheap pumps.

01Extreme69

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I just discovered that. I was able to get mine back online though. Thankfully. I am still going to replace it just to be safe

01Extreme69

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I am just going to stick with the factory ones (try my luck with them atleast) I dont really want to run all new wires and everything for the after market things. I think those are going to have to wait anyways, This morning on my way to work both my battery's and alternator went out. Yeah that was awesome. Luckily the good guy at Advanced had everything in stock and had all the tools for me to change them out right there in the parking lot.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58