ULSD causing fuel system problems? U decide.

Scar13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you dont really expect the EPA to fix it do you...

Honestly I do!

It would be the same as buying a Diesel and next week the GOVT saying hey were outlawing diesels....

A extreme comparison maybe, but the same effect. At no fault of the buyer...

Wait a minute that was sarcasm wasnt it!

Last edited:

addicted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well not to impressed with the clean diesel site. Most of it seemed like guess work and common sense. Nothing to support it and it seems like from what I've hear...esp about dates that some of this is wrong.

As for the Chevron article that was very interesting. Good to know stuff.

I agree with the increase in additive sales. I never purchased any in the past...Just poured in a bit of bio-d or SVO/WVO. But with my wife's New 06 TDI I'm very careful. Since the switch to ULSD I've been putting in 1/2 QT of DK ever tank. Those pumps and cams are very susptible to fuel lubricity and especially the Type of Engine oil that is used. I've seen some pics of very bad things on the TDI forum of bad fuel and esp bad oil.

Wierd thing is her mileage went down 1MPG over the past few tanks after starting to use it. Car only has 8K miles. Not sure what fuel we are getting though as I've asked and they don't know here and the sticker says LSD. Plus it has gotten cold so they may have made a switch to the winter blend here in NC.

But as for someone taking care of it I am disappointed to. The truth is this thing is going to cost some a TON of money and others...hopefully me.. very little until we learn what is going on here.

But what I would appreciate is some information from someone other than a private institution or buisiness to provides some real facts. I mean they might as well not jelly coat it. Yes. This is going to F*&^ up your car and YES... there is nothing we have done about it yet. I'm not to angry though. The cost to help clean up are cars can be paid in the billions to future gernerations or a few hundered here and there now.

I just hope it doesn't effect the huge amounts of black smoke we can billow at the pulls and on the streets. I'm going to have to find a black market dealer for dirty fuel :) :thumbs

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly I do!

It would be the same as buying a Diesel and next week the GOVT saying hey were outlawing diesels....

A extreme comparison maybe, but the same effect. At no fault of the buyer...

Wait a minute that was sarcasm wasnt it!

well the gubermit has LONG notified the manufactures of
(engines) that they would need to meet this standard by 07...
fault the builders & the producers of the fuel for not TESTING
things

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
drive it, enjoy it...youll be fine <yours probably isnt old enough to be
impacted>

FTG-05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
things

That's a good point: when was ULSD mandated by the Gov't, i.e. when did they announce that the vehicle manufacturers were going to have to meet the <15ppm sulfur fuel?

Al

ETA: Never mind, found it: Dec. 2000 as shown here: http://www.epa.gov/otaq/regs/hd2007/frm/f00057.pdf

Scar13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
things

Ok I blame the engine and truck makers!

I am just saying its not the buyers fault and shoudl not be the buyrs responsibility. Thats all I am saying Bushpilot ;)

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
The refineries produce ULSD without any replacement lubrication additives. Its not their responsibilty.

Local fuel distribution centers are reponsible for adding their version of the lubrication additive.

You just hope they add enough and don't try to save a dime at your expense.

Tbar

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The refineries produce ULSD without any replacement lubrication additives. Its not their responsibilty.

Local fuel distribution centers are reponsible for adding their version of the lubrication additive.

You just hope they add enough and don't try to save a dime at your expense.

Tbar

ok youre gonna have to show me where you read that...cause everything
ive seen and read says the producer is adding back in any librication removed
during the process.

ive NEVER seen any filling station add anything to their tanks...including
DIE

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
ok youre gonna have to show me where you read that...cause everything
ive seen and read says the producer is adding back in any librication removed
during the process.

ive NEVER seen any filling station add anything to their tanks...including
DIE

Not the filling station...........their fuel supplier adds the additive. In my neck of the woods it would be the big Exxon/Mobil fuel distribution depot down the street from where I work.

Tbar

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58