ulsd hurting powerstrokes

powerstrokeguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok dont know if this is true but i heard from someone that the ulsd is going to eventually be killing the current and past powerstrokes. has anyone heard this?

K-DAWG

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have one 98' E350 7.3 and two 1996 444E's with over 250k on each. Running on ULSD since 2000 with no problems.

Last edited:

jd87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Didn't they just start selling ULSD within the last year or so?

K-DAWG

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
jd87, I work for a school dist. so we were a test bed for ULSD back in 2000.

powerstrokeguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
alright, well i was just curious, cuz weve had a couple of problems with my step dads truck caused by the ulsd. i guess just seeing if anyone else has had any problems due to it.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
http://www.clean-diesel.org/faqs.html

Q. Will I need to put an additive in my fuel tank to replace the lubricity that was provided by the higher sulfur content?

A. Like Low Sulfur Diesel fuel, ULSD fuel requires good lubricity and corrosion inhibitors to prevent unacceptable engine wear. As necessary, additives to increase lubricity and to inhibit corrosion will be added to ULSD fuel prior to its retail sale. With these additives, ULSD fuel is expected to perform as well as Low Sulfur Diesel fuel.

Big K

SDD.com Hacker/Admin
Reaction score
alright, well i was just curious, cuz weve had a couple of problems with my step dads truck caused by the ulsd. i guess just seeing if anyone else has had any problems due to it.

Like what problems? Can you elaborate on this?

I haven't heard of any problems with ULSD aka S15

W4RLR

High Tech Hillbilly
Reaction score
My guess is that it is just out and out B.S. by someone wanting to slam the Power Stroke, especially the 6.0 version. If all the bad things about the 6.0 that were told to me actually came true, I would have been walking 20,000 miles ago. With the exception of a minor leak fixed under warranty, absolutely zero problems. We've had ULSD at the pumps here since November. A VERY slight reduction in fuel economy, but that could also be due to winter blend. We're far enough north in FL to get the stuff they send up north through the pipeline.

powerstrokeguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like what problems? Can you elaborate on this?

I haven't heard of any problems with ULSD aka S15

We had to replace the pet cock, which is the fuel water seperator on the fuel filter. and another part with the fuel system, i dont remember its name. both 70 dollar parts, then a sensor went out right then. probly coincidence but who knows. the dealer told us that low sulphur has been hurting the fuel systems of the 7.3's. hasnt hurt the 6.0 much. but they will just have to wait and see.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58