"Undetermined Leak"

snicklas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have a new, undetermined leak on the Ex. I parked the truck, in my driveway, which is fairly steep, and I noticed evidence of a leak under the front of the truck. I crawled under there yesterday, and what I have found is, the drip is coming off one of the steering links. (I know it is not the link that is leaking). Looking above the link, the frame crossmember is wet, and further up, there is a slight trail along the drivers side of the block behind the crank pulley. I am not loosing any fluid in any measureable amount. I believe it is coolant, and is probally coming from the water pump. (Can't see the water pump as we all know). Does this sound reasonable. There is no noticeable change in the truck, and I have just driven it almost 1000 miles in the last 2 weekends.

If it is the waterpump, is this a repair that I will have to cut the fan shroud in two? Do I get to it from the bottom, or the top easier? Where to get the replacement pump. I have no problem going to Ford and paying a little extra if that means that I dont have to "fix it" again for a very long time. I can get a lifetime pump for less, but if I am having to change it on a regular basis, the for price is worth it.

I have 91k on the truck, and I am going to drain and replace the coolant while I am at it, and plan on installing a coolant bypass filter.

Anything I am missing, any ideas.... please let me know......

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a new, undetermined leak on the Ex. I parked the truck, in my driveway, which is fairly steep, and I noticed evidence of a leak under the front of the truck. I crawled under there yesterday, and what I have found is, the drip is coming off one of the steering links. (I know it is not the link that is leaking). Looking above the link, the frame crossmember is wet, and further up, there is a slight trail along the drivers side of the block behind the crank pulley. I am not loosing any fluid in any measureable amount. I believe it is coolant, and is probally coming from the water pump. (Can't see the water pump as we all know). Does this sound reasonable. There is no noticeable change in the truck, and I have just driven it almost 1000 miles in the last 2 weekends.

If it is the waterpump, is this a repair that I will have to cut the fan shroud in two? Do I get to it from the bottom, or the top easier? Where to get the replacement pump. I have no problem going to Ford and paying a little extra if that means that I dont have to "fix it" again for a very long time. I can get a lifetime pump for less, but if I am having to change it on a regular basis, the for price is worth it.

I have 91k on the truck, and I am going to drain and replace the coolant while I am at it, and plan on installing a coolant bypass filter.

Anything I am missing, any ideas.... please let me know......

Sounds like the Water Pump to me. There's a weep hole under the WP shaft area.. when the seal/bushing starts to go.. yul get just what you describe. You could run a cooling system pressure test on it..to verify ?

DIY or have it done is yer call. DIY is not THAT hard, but a PIA do to the shroud and Special Tool (or conjured up tool) needed to get the fan off. Do-able but.. an All Day'r, at least.

Very Good idea on the Coolant filter ;tu. Even after the Flush.. yul be surprised at the scale & casting sand yul trap after 1 or 2 filter changes:eek::eek:.... Yul know why the Water Pump went south..fer shur.

Joe

Last edited:

snicklas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Joe,

IT does look like a PITA, but funds are a little tight, so it will definitly be a DIY..... I have some help when I do it. Is the Special Tool one that I can "borrow" is it the same idea as what was used on the older trucks? (A holder and a wrench). I figured I would have to cut the shroud in two..... I might as well replace the belt while I am in there. I know with the fairly low miles, 91k that I should not have lost a WP, which is why I am going to do the coolant filter. Where to you suggest getting the pump, I only want to do this once, I had to replace the alternator, I got it from NAPA and I am on the 3 one.....

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
auto zone or orielies may have the tool for rent
i made one for my 02 from 1/4 flat stock. the time it took i could have rented one and replaced four pumps
i didnt know at the time they had em.
I thought only ford had them and they wanted both arms for one.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
auto zone or orielies may have the tool for rent
i made one for my 02 from 1/4 flat stock. the time it took i could have rented one and replaced four pumps
i didnt know at the time they had em.
I thought only ford had them and they wanted both arms for one.

Joe,

IT does look like a PITA, but funds are a little tight, so it will definitly be a DIY..... I have some help when I do it. Is the Special Tool one that I can "borrow" is it the same idea as what was used on the older trucks? (A holder and a wrench). I figured I would have to cut the shroud in two..... I might as well replace the belt while I am in there. I know with the fairly low miles, 91k that I should not have lost a WP, which is why I am going to do the coolant filter. Where to you suggest getting the pump, I only want to do this once, I had to replace the alternator, I got it from NAPA and I am on the 3 one.....

What PB sez.. and the pumps are available at Auto Zone and the like too.

There's also many "How I did it" type Posts in the Search section, as well as DIY/WIKI's too.

I lost my WP (7.3) at what I thought was premature too.. But when I installed the filter set-up.. I could see why it went south. It took 3-4 filters to get to where I felt the cooling system was clean enough. Now, I change the filter once a year (or so). Yer call but I'd go with the Ball valve shut-offs.. makes changing that filter a snap, little, if any Mess.

Joe

A "Dremel Tool" is good for cutting the shroud (?)

snicklas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The only reason I asked about where to get them was my past experience with the alternator. I know that I paid less for the alternator, but having to replace it 3 times to get a good one, to me, it would have been worth the extra money to get on from Ford if I didn't have to touch it again.....

Pricing them out, there is only about 50-60 difference between Advance and Ford..... and I am still leaning toward Ford...... this is definitly a job I only want to have to do once!!!!!!!

Thanks Again.....

PB.... how bad was the pump change?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only reason I asked about where to get them was my past experience with the alternator. I know that I paid less for the alternator, but having to replace it 3 times to get a good one, to me, it would have been worth the extra money to get on from Ford if I didn't have to touch it again.....

Pricing them out, there is only about 50-60 difference between Advance and Ford..... and I am still leaning toward Ford...... this is definitly a job I only want to have to do once!!!!!!!

Thanks Again.....

PB.... how bad was the pump change?

I got mine from IH.. WAY cheaper than Ford.. but More than Auto Zone, but Good Quality parts.. from the engine maker. I like that.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have the IH part #.... I called the local dealer and he said hte WP was different.....

I don't have (cant find it) the # anymore. It is different but the IH guy got me one. IIRC it took a couple days.

It's been 4-5 years ago now.. and with the Battle between Ford & IH.. maybe you can't get one thru IH anymore :dunno

I've found if you do some calling around.. from Ford Dealer to Ford Dealer.. you can get Ford parts ALOT cheaper.. from the right one. Shouldn't' be that way but, It Is.

snicklas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks, Big Joe. I will call around and see what I can do..... I am still leaning on going with a Ford WP. I really do not want to have to fix it more than once. Unless someone can "prove" that another aftermarket part is just a good, from experience. I have just had a bad expirence with an aftermarket alternator, from the big "Blue and Yellow" place. I bought a reman from them, the first one lasted about 2 weeks, and the second reman lasted a month or so, this one was replaced a NEW one from then and it is still in there.... So I am really leaning toward a Ford one.......

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58