Up-pipe donut replacement Early 99??

Got Diesel

Engineering College Boy
Reaction score
As the title suggests I am getting ready to tackle the up-pipes on my Early 99. I am gonna go with the chevy 350 donuts if I can get a part number or description for them cause there are two different types one that is flat on one side, round on the other. And the other type is round on both sides. I think that's how they go. Anyways which ones do I need?

Also do you have to pull the turbo to do this or can you do it from underneath, without removing the turbo. If I have to remove the turbo would I follow the instructions for removal of the 94-97 turbo or the 99.5-03 removal? What do I need to re-install the turbo if I have to remove it? By this I means what o-rings?

Any other helpful hints would be greatly appreciated. I have to do this in one day cause I can't really have the truck down for longer than that because it is the only means of transportation. Thanks Kyle.

lukecline

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bought the chevy gaskets today. I can get the number inthe morning for ya. I would also suggest puting the donuts in and starting the bolts before you put the up pipes in. I like to lube the pipes up on both the top and bottom with grease just to help things align a little better with manifolds and turbo mt. It would probably be easier to do with the turbo out, but im sure it can be done w/o pulling the turbo. The turbo mounts like a later model, so follow the instructions for that. Get turbo pedistal orings from IH, they are cheaper. If you have any questions send me a pm, im stuck at a computer most of hte day and could help ya out.

Got Diesel

Engineering College Boy
Reaction score
Thanks Luke. The part number would be great. Do you have to completely remove the up-pipes from the manifolds? Or loosen them from the manifolds at all? Or can pull the turbo, slide the old donuts off and slide the new ones on, and re-install. Thanks again.

lukecline

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll have to look at my engine in the morning, but i think you'll have to pull the up pipes clear out. I have the e99 engine sitting on the floor at the shop, so it will be easy to see what needs done.

Got Diesel

Engineering College Boy
Reaction score
Yes sir it would be helpful in seeing what needs to be done. Wouldn't happen to have some pics of the engine so I could see exactly whats' there would you?

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
Bump.

What's the word Kyle? Did you get it done yet?

I've been watching this thread from the sidelines since I gotta do the same thing, hopefully before the snow flies and it gets any colder. I'm watching with great interest as to what answers you (or somebody else) come up with for all the questions you had up above, especially the which donut gaskets do you want to get.

Got Diesel

Engineering College Boy
Reaction score
Kent, I haven't done it yet. Haven't had the time. I don't think my apartment complex would like me tearing into the truck in the middle of the parking lot. So I have to wait till I go home on the weekends. But we are right in the middle of harvest, so that takes up pretty much all of my time on the weekends. I am planning on having it done by this Sunday. Don't worry I will post all the tricks and tips that I can give you. I have gathered up all the parts that I should need, just need the time.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
Kent, I haven't done it yet. Haven't had the time. I don't think my apartment complex would like me tearing into the truck in the middle of the parking lot. So I have to wait till I go home on the weekends. But we are right in the middle of harvest, so that takes up pretty much all of my time on the weekends. I am planning on having it done by this Sunday. Don't worry I will post all the tricks and tips that I can give you. I have gathered up all the parts that I should need, just need the time.

Perfect!!:thumbs

I can't get to mine until after this weekend anyhow. (I have to pull the camper to winter storage first.)
Feel free to make all the mistakes you want and let me know how not to do it!!:nudge :sweet

Got Diesel

Engineering College Boy
Reaction score
Haha. I have a plan of attack right now. As long as stuff comes apart I should be done in a couple of hours. I will let you know exactly how I do it all. Hell I may even take a few pics.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
Did you get it done yet Kyle? :nudge

If so, how'd it go?

I was looking at mine, not a whole lotta room to work in. The hardest part I think would be getting to the flange bolts on the "Y" manifold behind the turbo. I thought dropping the starter might improve access to the passenger side exhaust manifold outlet, removing the down pipe might help even more. Without a doubt, the most access would be provided by dropping the tranny, but I don't think I want to go there while outside in the driveway.

Anxiously awaiting feedback!!-popcorn

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58