Using new veggie oil

dogtrk

Pat
Reaction score
I have a friend who sent me an email to tell me he's using veggie oil he buys new in a grocery store in his diesel. First time he mixed it with half a tank of diesel fuel and now he's going to fill up his tank with the veggie oil and a "mixer". Not sure yet what the "mixer" is but will check that out. He claims the veggie oil costs him $1.95/gal and the truck is running well. I think it's a 6.0.

What say you??? I'm a bit skeptical of this but also very curious as to what you folks on here think.......:dunno

JRJ04

Reaction score
this should be interesting to see...I always thought you had to change out parts and convert it over to heat the fuel etc.??:dunno

dogtrk

Pat
Reaction score
this should be interesting to see...I always thought you had to change out parts and convert it over to heat the fuel etc.??:dunno

Well he seems to be of the opinion that because the oil has never been used that it would work just fine with a "mixer" (trying to find out just what that mixer is). From all I've been reading sounds like there's a lot more to it than that. If it were that easy there'd be a run on veggie oil in the stores I'm sure--people walking out with gallons of the stuff in their shopping carts.

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
He claims the veggie oil costs him $1.95/gal and the truck is running well. I think it's a 6.0.

What say you??? I'm a bit skeptical of this but also very curious as to what you folks on here think.......:dunno

I'm a bit skeptical at $1.95/gal for virgin oil.

JRJ04

Reaction score
agreed. but the million dollar question is...can you just dump that stuff straight into your tank if its fresh?

Friis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you would at least need an engine block warmer. As the thicker veg oil cools down, you would risk breaking parts next time you start it cold. Alternatively you would need a conversion with 2 tanks, so you could flush the system with clean diesel, preparing the engine for a normal cold start.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
whats the minimum temp that you can "use" wvo @ w/out heating it ?

surely you dont have to heat it 24/7

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58