Using new veggie oil

6LMonster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Running 100% straight Veggie. I have a Hot Fox heater, but haven't installed it yet. Been running since last May on straight veggie with no conversion.

dogtrk

Pat
Reaction score
Running 100% straight Veggie. I have a Hot Fox heater, but haven't installed it yet. Been running since last May on straight veggie with no conversion.

So what do you figure it costs you per gal. to run on this??? Are you mixing in any diesel fuel when you're on the road?

6LMonster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I buy my veggie oil from a local guy for $0.25/gal. Then I filter it at the house through a 1 micron filter. Then it goes straight into the tank.

I do not blend it with anything.

When on the road I take extra veggie with me in a tank that I put in the bed.

Last edited:

banana

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I buy my veggie oil from a local guy for $0.25/gal. Then I filter it at the house through a 1 micron filter. Then it goes straight into the tank.

I do not blend it with anything.

When on the road I take extra veggie with me in a tank that I put in the bed.

Do you use one tank for veg and the other for diesel and do you have to shut down and start up on diesel? can you use the fegular fuel filter or are there some changes to be made. i live in florida so most of the time its warm do you need to heat the oil in warm climates? sorry for so many questions i am trying to figure out the most cost effective and reliable way to convert.

6LMonster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has it helped my mileage? No, but it hasn't hurt it either. I still get about 22 mpg on the hwy.

Yes, I use my front tank for veggie and the rear tank for diesel and I do start up and shut down on diesel. But in the middle of summer, I never switch over to diesel, because it is so warm. I am running the stock fuel filter and always carry an extra one with me just incase. But, I have run 12,000 miles and have had to switch out my filter yet. I am getting ready for a few big trips this next month, so I will switch it out just as a precaution.

Last edited:

banana

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so you just went ahead and put the oil in the front tank with no mods to the truck and started using veg oil? how long do yoiu run truck on rear tank at shut down to be sure it is purged?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Burn'n Commercially Available, Off The Shelf Veggie Oil SURE HAS peeked my interest, BUT... Why hasn't this been brought up before ????? Without all the Modifications ??? What are the possible Down Sides... If Any ????

Simple math sez:

@ say $4.00 a gallon, for say 30 gallons of Diesel, that comes to..$120.00.

@ say $2.00 a gallon for Veggie Oil, that comes to.. $60.00.

Even if we did a 50/50 mix, that comes to.. $90.00 bucks a tank.. or.. $3.00 PER !!! (Still to high but...lots better)

I want to know more.

bbressler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where are you guys finding new virgin oil for that cheap? Around here, a 35 pound jug will cost you 25 - 30 bucks depending on type.

I've not experimented without heating the oil. I fear that injector nozzles would begin to be coked because of the high viscosity (and therefore more unburnt fuel) -- but again, I have no real-world experience to back that up.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58