V10 popped a spark plug

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
OK, ok It's not a diesel, its my pa's 03 V10. He's down in Madison, WI with the 21' 5ver for a few days and popped a spark plug out. Threads in head are gone. I realize that this is a fairly common problem. The question is, would it be fine to run it 160 or so miles back home minus one cylinder (it runs fine, just a little rough) or should we be planning a rescue mission tomorrow? I would be concerned about dust dirt being drawn into the engine. What are your thoughts? Thanks ;)

atk

Reaction score
ditto on the injector....depending on the cyl that the plug came out of, you might not beable to do to much without pulling the head. probaly would be better if he could get a plug back in there. if the threads are completely gone, only way to fix it would be a HELI-COIL, but you probaly know that....if he wasn`t pulling a trailer, i would say yeah drive it back....you can always go get the trailer and he can drive the truck back....JMO

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
Yeah, talked to a couple buddies and decided to unplug the injector and go for it. He found a helicoil- type repair kit, but I think the risk of dad trying to do the repair on his own could cause undesirable results, such as crooked threads, etc. We'll see how it goes. I told him on the phone his truck sounds more like a diesel now :lmao

No, it's not under warranty anymore.

Thanks for the input :sweet

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
eah, talked to a couple buddies and decided to unplug the injector and go for it.

good choice, he wont hurt a thing, and when the revs are up i bet he doesnt even notice its down a hole.

just for future prevention.....its a good idea to check the torque on the plugs every few oil changes. i guess something causes them to loosen and the slamming up and down makes the ripping through the threads.

tell your dad to get rid of the gasser and buy a diesel, no spark plugs to worry about....

no way man!!! V10's are badass engines! royboy- has your dad done the ebay y-pipe yet? it helps a lot i have heard. plan on doing it to "dads camper/our race trailer hauler" this winter. i also heard that putting 4.10 or 4.55 gears on those trucks make a world of difference for city mileage and overall towing power.

oh, and if anyone is in a betting mood i have $1 that says its one of the rearmost cylinders that popped :D

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
tell your dad to get rid of the gasser and buy a diesel, no spark plugs to worry about....:D

Actually this truck replaced his 95 PSD, he really likes it, nice n quiet for him and mom, he lets his boys run the noisy spensive trucks :D

Last edited:

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
oh, and if anyone is in a betting mood i have $1 that says its one of the rearmost cylinders that popped :D

sucker bet.

you know it's the rear one on the right bank... the most evil one of all

trackspeeder

Stone Crusher
Reaction score
good choice, he wont hurt a thing, and when the revs are up i bet he doesnt even notice its down a hole.

just for future prevention.....its a good idea to check the torque on the plugs every few oil changes. i guess something causes them to loosen and the slamming up and down makes the ripping through the threads.

no way man!!! V10's are badass engines! royboy- has your dad done the ebay y-pipe yet? it helps a lot i have heard. plan on doing it to "dads camper/our race trailer hauler" this winter. i also heard that putting 4.10 or 4.55 gears on those trucks make a world of difference for city mileage and overall towing power.

I can think of a better six cylinder replacement engine with no spark plugs.:D:lmao

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58