vacuum source on 7.3 for Hydrogen cell install

tptfps

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I'm sure this is going to get mixed reviews. I have had substantial luck with a hho generator on a gas engine.Still testing, but initial results indicate my 4 cyl. s-10 has gone from 19 to 24 mpg. I have owned my 99 SD for a couple years now. I'm a autobody tech by trade and my head knowledge on a turbo diesel is limited. I have made several mods on the truck with good results. I'm now ready to try HHO on it. It's in the truck ready to go but I am having a terrible time finding a good vacuum source to draw the hydrogen into the engine. Question #1 Is there a accessible vacuum source ?
#2 I'm thinking Ideal placement would be between intercooler and engine?
#3 Right now it is hooked up into the plenum next to where the CCV scoop is in the fresh air intake. I have a cold intakeGreen Filter setup for the air breather. The filter works so good there is no suction in thetube anymore. With the factory set-up, there used to be suction in the top of the air box. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
. Question #1 Is there a accessible vacuum source ?

Belt driven vacuum pump for the brakes? :dunno
There is vacuum on the hose to the brake booster.

I'd think using a second vacuum pump for your experiment is the prudent thing to do. I like having brakes. :lmao

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
hydrogen generator thread #1

hydrogen generator thread #2

you dont need a source of vacuum, the intake tube from filter to turbo is the ONLY place you an pipe in the gas. if you were to put it on the charge side of the intake circuit, it would pressurize your generator and probably blow it up.

there should not be vacuum on the filter boot, but there is definatly enough flow going in that the gas isnt going to flow back out the filter and into the atmosphere.

post up results as there are a bunch of us here who have been trying to get one built and installed on our diesel to see if (and how much) it helps with fuel mileage. how many liters per minute/amps is your generator making/pulling?

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Belt driven vacuum pump for the brakes? :dunno
There is vacuum on the hose to the brake booster.

I'd think using a second vacuum pump for your experiment is the prudent thing to do. I like having brakes. :lmao

SD's lost the belt driven vac pump so that's a no go....
their brakes are hydro boosted

They have a small elec vac pump to operate the a/c dampers IIRC it's on a fender (pass I believe)

aggitator

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I'm setting up a 6 cell generator for a 99 7.3 psd and am planning on tee'ing off the filter restriction guage for my vacuum. Just my idea. Ihave a freind using a hho generator on a chevy 350 and went from 9.5 to 16 mpg's I hope to get as close as i can to his percentages as i can...Bud;tu

hawkdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tnhybrids.com has a pump that they use. You may be able to pick one up from them or, after seeing what they use, procure one locally.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm setting up a 6 cell generator for a 99 7.3 psd and am planning on tee'ing off the filter restriction guage for my vacuum. Just my idea. Ihave a freind using a hho generator on a chevy 350 and went from 9.5 to 16 mpg's I hope to get as close as i can to his percentages as i can...Bud;tu

I think you might be rather disappointed if you use this option because the diesel does not generate any appreciable vacuum in the intake under normal driving conditions. You need to evaluate the requrements of your system and I'd suggest sticking a gauge on this port to see what you're actually going to get. The peak might be high but the routine level will not be more than a slight low pressure.

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
you dont really need vaccuum at all. it doesnt change/help/hurt the hydrogen generators function. pipe the gas into the air filter boot, it will work perfectly.

Frankenstien

Frankestien
Reaction score
If you need/want positive flow you could use a small air pump for an aquarium. place this on the low end of the the first generator, it will positively charge/pressurize the tanks so the gas will be forced into the intake.

aggitator

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Instead of using a pump I was thinking fo using a low flow regulator set at about 4 to 6 oz's tapped off of the intake. it wouldn't really affect the boost pressure at all.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14