VGT Relearn Procedure?

charger73fan

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I was going to pull the turbo and recondition it per the instructions on the Ford Diesel Tech Society page and they mention '03's and early '04's need to have the VGT Relearn procedure done or else damage could result. Anyone know what that is and how to do it? Thanks!

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I have not heard of a procedure to "relearn" the VGT pattern. Don't you just hook it up and drive it? The PCM should relearn as it goes. Anyone correct me if I am wrong.

Dave

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1st ive heard of it...and to my knowledge theres no MEMORY function
related to the VGT or its controlling solenoid.

Ive got to ask why you THINK it needs cleaning....
Whats the condition of your EGR...has it ever been cleaned ?

Personally unless youre seeing some symptoms or codes that warranted
the cleaning i wouldnt bother messing w/ it.

charger73fan

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I misquoted the article a little - The passage is at the bottom under "Tech Tips" and says 2003 trucks with recall 06E17 will have to have the VGT Learn procedure performed or driveability concerns will result. Bushpilot, I've only had the truck about 3 months and it's got 112000 on it - I just replaced the oil cooler, EGR cooler, intake manifold, and EGR Valve, so the EGR system is golden. The only reason I was thinking about doing the turbo recondition procedure is that the VGT is easy to access, the procedure does not seem too difficult, and it SEEMS like a good preventative maintenance thing to do. The truck has not pulled any codes or given me a reason to suspect malfunction or stuck vanes, but I figure why not? Also, I have no baseline to compare to - it feels fine to me, but I did buy it with 108000 and don't really know what it should feel like. Is there an easy way to check if the VGT is fully functional and working properly? I have no additional gauges so I cannot check boost or anything else that's not on the stock dash. Thanks again for everyone's help!!!

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
If you are not experiencing any problems, I would by no means clean the turbo. The turbo is supposed to be keeping itself clean, the only reason Ford started recommending the cleaning procedure is because they got tired of replacing so many turbos for sticking vanes when the only problem was a build up of soot. Ford started having techs take the turbos apart to determine if the sticking was caused by soot or light rust (which could be cleaned)or had pitting or other damage (turbo needs to be replaced.) I have personally had a VGT apart and they are by no means a simple turbo.
Don't even begin to diagnose your own engine until you got some good gauges on it, otherwise you're just shooting in the dark (and wasting your time) :sweet

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im w/ Roy on this one...invest your time & money in gauges...
EGT, Boost & Trannie (assuming your running an automatic).

What code reader are you using ?

charger73fan

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Wow - maybe I'll rethink this little project - - I guess I should ask for your recommendations on what you would consider "good gauges" - ideas anyone?

Flopster843

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMO, if you have the time then clean it. Mine was running prefect, then I got on it fairly good one day and it stuck. I hit over 50psi in very short time. It didn't sound any different. The only thing I noticed was that it took a little longer to spool, not much, and then my gauge just wrapped around. From first hand experience, it will stick without warning and if you're away from home you're screwed. I had mine apart, cleaned, and back together in about 5 hours. Which also included a trip to the local NAPA for some cleaning pads and anti-seize.

As far as the re-learn. The DIY procedure is as follows:
Drive the truck and get it up to operating temperature after you clean the turbo. Don't kick on it at all. Once it's up to temp, unhook both grounds off the batteries, turn on your light switch, and let it sit for 15 mins. This drains all remaining juice from the computer causing it to loose it's memory. Hook both the batteries back up. Start the truck and LET IT IDLE for about 20-25 mins. You'll hear the turbo spool up and down as the truck re-learns it's total range of motion. After that time frame, drive it around easy for about 15 mins. Then a little harder for a few mins, etc. In about 40 mins you should be back to full "holly crap" and all will be good. Keep in mind that this procedure isn't as great as having ford do the learn process with the computer, but it's about 95% as good. Oh, and be sure the truck is stock before you do this process (if you have a tuner).

Gauges, IMO Isspro makes the best "matching" gauges to the stock trim. Black face, red pointer. In my A-pillar I have fuel press, pyro, boost, and water temp. (it's a 6-speed). Hope this helps. :thumbs

charger73fan

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the excellent info - In the relearn instructions you posted, once the truck is up to temp shouldn't I shut it down first before unhooking the grounds and turning on the lightswitch? This seems obvious 'cause I don't want do die cleaning my turbo, but the only stupid question is the one you don't ask...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58