VGT Relearn Procedure?

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sorry but there is such a think as KAM (keep alive memory)...
lights on or NOT you cant completely purge the memory in these
systems.

as for the idling....thats a LARGE part of the problem...idling
allows the SOOT to collect & prevents HIGHER opp. temps.

EXCESSIVE & Extended IDLING of these truck...will only increase
the maintance and repairs

Flopster843

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the excellent info - In the relearn instructions you posted, once the truck is up to temp shouldn't I shut it down first before unhooking the grounds and turning on the lightswitch? This seems obvious 'cause I don't want do die cleaning my turbo, but the only stupid question is the one you don't ask...

Yes the truck should be off. I forgot to include that part.

bushpilot, I'm not sure about the KAM. This is the procedure I was told to perform and it has worked flawlessly twice. The first time I even took it back to Ford for the actual flash process (about $100) and noticed no difference in the performance of the truck. Second time I left it with the DIY. I totally agree with the excessive idle time. Don't let you truck idle for extended periods on multiple occasions. However, this is the only time I purposely allow my truck idle for an extended period and I see no harm. I've let it idle longer than that while sitting in traffic waiting on a wreck. If anybody built a truck that couldn't idle we'd have way more problems. I think the problem lies more with people that stop at a job site and leave their truck idling for hours every day.

charger73fan

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Another related question - is there any way to tell if I actually need to do the relearn procedure? The ford DTS article only mentions 2003 trucks, but I've read somewhere that it needs to be done on early '04 trucks. My Oasis report (I guess that's what it's called - it's a printout my dealer gave me showing all the recalls that have not been done yet) shows a build date of 01/14/2004 and I'm wondering if I need to mess with the relearn procedure or not...

Flopster843

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another related question - is there any way to tell if I actually need to do the relearn procedure? The ford DTS article only mentions 2003 trucks, but I've read somewhere that it needs to be done on early '04 trucks. My Oasis report (I guess that's what it's called - it's a printout my dealer gave me showing all the recalls that have not been done yet) shows a build date of 01/14/2004 and I'm wondering if I need to mess with the relearn procedure or not...

I don't see any harm in doing it. It will either work, or not make any difference. I'm not sure exactly what trucks require it and what don't. I know mine falls under "early" trucks, but not sure when the cut-off is.

charger73fan

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I pulled the VGT tonight and did the entire reconditioning procedure in about 4 hours. None of the vanes were stuck, but a good cleaning really smoothed out the movement. I'm going to put everything back on and button up tomorrow night and I'll post final results. Thanks for all the help!

charger73fan

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Got everything back together and did Flopster's DIY relearn procedure - I never once heard any VGT spooling and all my radio presets were still there, so I guess my KAM won out on that procedure. Either way, I appreciate all the help and the VGT seems to be even more smooth and strong than before. At least I have peace of mind that I know it's clean. Thanks again!

madkaw

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
"All trucks with 2003 engines that have had Recall 06E17 will need to have the VGT Learn procedure performed or driveability concerns will result."

FDDTS - Turbocharger Reconditioning

This is the only reference I've found that requires a re-learn procedure after cleaning a turbo.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"All trucks with 2003 engines that have had Recall 06E17 will need to have the VGT Learn procedure performed or driveability concerns will result."

FDDTS - Turbocharger Reconditioning

This is the only reference I've found that requires a re-learn procedure after cleaning a turbo.

well eat my SHORTS ! wanna bet its a KOEO proceedure....much like
the egr position reset ?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58