Want to purchase a 2004 SD "Need Advise"

pinnacle

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have been looking around for a used truck and found a 2004 Super duty 250 diesel with a 6.0 engine, crew cab, 4 WD, short wheel base, champagne in color in the used car lot from where my dad purchase his new truck. The truck is just want I wanted super clean, lariat model with all the toys. It have 57532 miles. This truck has a little switch on the dash that has 3 postions to it, off, 4wd low, 4wd high, how do you engage the 4wd unit? No paperwork in truck. My friend 2007 has a lever on the foor board. Do I have to come to a stop engage the 4wd low and do the same for 4wd high. By me asking this little question It may save me a lot of problems down the road better safe than sorry. This truck also is jack up already I think it have a 4" lift and the tires are 315r75-16 with custom rims if i recall correct. It is so tall it will not fit under the my carport it sits way over his stock 2007 SD 4WD SWB. Will I have any problems with warranty work due to the work done by the owner before me. And what should I have checked out in the motor with a diesel tech. I am a little scared of all the bad news on the 2003 thu 2007 year model 6.0 liter engines. The salesman a friend of mine and I will be drive it till Friday to make up my mind on this major purchase. Thank you in advance for any help or advise from you guys in this forum

Houston, Texas

platinum01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let me say welcome to SDD.com Sorry really can't help you with this, I have a 7.3L. You should be alright though with the problems. All of the problems have be worked out already. As far as the 4wd, I have used my like a shift on the fly. I have had the truck in 2wd and felt the truck starting to stick and just moved the switch to 4 high climbed out just switched back to 2wd. Somebody will help, glad that you found this site. You have found a good site with alot of good guys that are always here to help. Hope that the truck works out for you.

TexasExcursion

GOD Bless America!
Reaction score
Welcome to SDD, Pinnacle.

The 2003 model years were the most troublesome, so a 2004 SHOULD be okay--but there are never any guarantees.

As for the 4WD switch, you can switch from 2H to 4H while you're driving, you've just got to be under 50-55 MPH and not applying any gas (ie: coasting) just to be safe. To go from 4H to 4L, you have to be at a dead stop with the transmission in nuetral. All of this takes place with the hubs in the "auto" position. Just understand that the tires have to roll a couple revolutions for the 4WD to engage. If you're stuck and need 4WD immediately, you'll have to manually engage the hubs into the "lock" position.

As for the lift kit and the warranty, that really depends on the dealer. Some are sticklers and some don't mind. From what I've read on this site, the biggest thing you'll have to worry about are driveline vibrations--all depends on the quality level of the lift kit and the installation job.

Good luck with your decision. Post often if you need advice.

Bruce

platinum01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry didn't read fully about the shifting into 4L. See you got your question answered.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i thought you also had to have your foot on the brake also, to select 4 Lo.

as for an 04 mod. year...the later built the better...take the vin number
to the dealer service department and ask 'em to run an oasis report...
itll give you the warrenty & dealer repair history.

specifically ive always heard you want the 04 trucks that were
built after september 03 (mine was built in march or april of 04 and i
havent had a single problem)

the oasis report will tell you if the recalls were completed too...there
was a critical tranny (reverse planetary gear) problem...it wasnt a
recall or a tsb...it was a "customer satisfaction campaign" you wanna
make sure that was completed.

if the oasis report shows the truck having been in the dealer shop(s)
alot, then id stay away from the truck.

at 50k that truck is just getting broken in...ive got 54k on mine and i
wouldnt trade it unless i had too.

DragonSlayer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck has a build date of 10-03, and only a couple of recalls and 49,000 miles later, it has been a great truck so far. I don't plan on getting rid of it for awhile, since its paid for!:thumbs :sly Do like bushpilot said, check the oasis report and let us know if we can help. I have always gotten my questions answered, and answered promptly.

Welcome to the site!!!

mwberg

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Mine has only been to shop once for repair (cross fingers), built 11/03 2004 F350 Lariat Crew cab, 4x4 long bed, definitely check repair history. :sweet

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hummm see the pattern....anything after SEPTEMBER 03 (which is an
04 model year truck) seems to be fairly problem free.

be certain to look at the sticker on the valve cover too...they were
stuffing 03 motors in 04 trucks for awhile.

ktpauley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anything after September 03 is an 04/04. 04 engine in an 04 model year truck. I think the exact date was 9/29/03 for the change over. Mine was built between 1/5/04, and 2/1/04. I've had a few minor problems, probably because I don't drive it enough. Keith

pinnacle

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thank you guys for the head up on this purchase. The truck is great just what I want. One question is a CarFax report the same as an Oasis report. I spent the money and got one. The truck has one owner and then went to the dealer on a trade in. The report only shows when there was a change of title and this it. I still am going to ask for the oasis report. I love all the thumbs up I get on the road and my kids think this truck is the S@##. keep you posted

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58