Question Was I taken for a ride?

KFord

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have a 2003 F-250 SD with 81,000 miles. I do my own maintenance. I have been noticing white smoke out of the exhaust over the last several weeks. Thought it might have been the EGR valve sticking or coked. The other day, the "check engine" light came on. Dealer said a code P2291 was throwing. Dealer said oil leak shorted out my ICP sensor:rant. Sensor had to be replaced. Diagnostics $139.99, sensor $157.00, connector $96.16, labor $425.00. Extended warranty just expired in September.

What happened to cause this mess? Anyone have a clue?

creeper

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
on the 03 6.0L engine the icp sensor is located on the high oil pressure pump cover. the sensor actually leaks oil and gets into the connector. the oil the shorts out the icp signal to the pcm. this problem could cause a no start condition as well. some 03 and early build 04 trucks had a recall just for this exact concern

note: p2291 is low ICP while cranking. caused by the shorted icp signal

just one Ford Diesel Tech trying to help out since apparently everybody on here hates the dealer

Last edited:

atk

Reaction score
on the 03 6.0L engine the icp sensor is located on the high oil pressure pump cover. the sensor actually leaks oil and gets into the connector. the oil the shorts out the icp signal to the pcm. this problem could cause a no start condition as well. some 03 and early build 04 trucks had a recall just for this exact concern

note: p2291 is low ICP while cranking. caused by the shorted icp signal

just one Ford Diesel Tech trying to help out since apparently everybody on here hates the dealer

x2....happened to my truck

fordoor

SDD Member
Reaction score
What I know is that when my engine light came on (again!) after leaving the dealer on another unrelated repair and it was ICP sensor; the tech climbed into the engine compartment while I was sitting in the drivers seat and R.&R.'d the ICP sensor in about 10 minutes tops. He reached in w/ extension/swivels and who knows what else,and just handled it. A good thing it was under warranty. At $565. for just the diagnostics and labor, that comes to $3,390. an hour. Love the techs / No comment on dealers.

KFord

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback from all. I have read here about a recall. Was there a recall and if so, is it still in effect? I guess my other question would be this seems to be a re-occurring problem. Is there a resolution or is this going to continue to be a drain on my wallet as long as I own the truck?

I don't hate dealers, I keep going back there. What I dislike is the huge parts mark-up and being charged $25.00 for supplies that probably cost $2.50. Like an aspirin at the hospital costing $10.00. We all know it does not cost that.

I inquired about replacing my broken sun glasses holder and garage door holder in the compartments above. Two plastic pieces, $100.00.:dizzy Come on now. Really?

Fine69

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback from all. I have read here about a recall. Was there a recall and if so, is it still in effect? I guess my other question would be this seems to be a re-occurring problem. Is there a resolution or is this going to continue to be a drain on my wallet as long as I own the truck?

I don't hate dealers, I keep going back there. What I dislike is the huge parts mark-up and being charged $25.00 for supplies that probably cost $2.50. Like an aspirin at the hospital costing $10.00. We all know it does not cost that.

I inquired about replacing my broken sun glasses holder and garage door holder in the compartments above. Two plastic pieces, $100.00.:dizzy Come on now. Really?

Mama Ford gots to eats.....

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score

No offence to the Ford.. Wrench turners out there, but.......

What REALLY gits to me is..... The Parts & Labor price dif., from Dealer to Dealer.

*I once needed a new Speedo (analog) head. The 8 mile away, big fancy Dealer wanted $13?.?? + 1.? hr. labor. The 14 mile away, small town Dealer INSTALLED.. the DANG thing.. for $9?.??, OTD.

Wasup with that crapp?? FOMOCO oda monitor that stuff.

Makes >ALL< the Dealers look bad.. in my book. :dunno :watchout

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58