Wastegate accuator

Hooper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now that I finally have a boost gauge, what's the advantage of the aftermarket wastegate accuator? As I understand it, the stock unit
allows boost to sort of leak out depriving the engine of the full potential
of the boost generated, if that makes sense. I don't want a race truck,
just to use the resources at hand. What do you all think?? Don't be bashful:rolleyes:

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
The wastegate LIMITS the boost to your engine and there fore limits the power that it can make. More boost can cause problems and a drop in mpg's. It will always reach full potential if you keep it working. It can be fooled into raising the boost by several different methods. One is a "boost fooler". Don't have any other information on this or any other device like it.

Dave

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now that I finally have a boost gauge, what's the advantage of the aftermarket wastegate accuator? As I understand it, the stock unit
allows boost to sort of leak out depriving the engine of the full potential
of the boost generated, if that makes sense. I don't want a race truck,
just to use the resources at hand. What do you all think?? Don't be bashful:rolleyes:

Aftermarket accuators are adjustable, the stock one is not. Being able to adjust the Wastegate to Not open at 17=18 lbs (as set by Ford/IH) will let you build boost to, say..24-25 lbs. But as Dave sez; Ya gota watch that.. cuz More, is not allways Better. Your MAP sensor is set at 18-19 lbs so any more than that.. might cause the CEL to come on and the PCM can set a code, go into a de-fuel mode.. cutting power. But again, as Dave sez; A Boost Fooler, or the like.. can trick the MAP & PCM into not sencing that.

Make any sence ?

Joe

early 99 stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you pull the end of the rod off where it hooks to the waste gate..you can drill it out and make it adjustable..i did this and have it set at 32 psi...when i hit the go peddle the boost climbs right to 32 and stays there till i let up...i would not push your stock turbo past 27 lb's...you will kill the turbo..i can with mine cause i have a 1.00 exhaust housing that lowers EGT's and back PSI...with my sticks fast spool up is not a problem and there is no low end lag..

Hooper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My boost tops out at 19.5 lbs. Is that about what I should expect with the equipment I have?

Frankenstien

Frankestien
Reaction score
Hooper, 19.5 is about avg for a "programmed" Truck.. you may see up to 26, but for the most part part around 20 is the the norm.

platinum01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aftermarket accuators are adjustable, the stock one is not. Being able to adjust the Wastegate to Not open at 17=18 lbs (as set by Ford/IH) will let you build boost to, say..24-25 lbs. But as Dave sez; Ya gota watch that.. cuz More, is not allways Better. Your MAP sensor is set at 18-19 lbs so any more than that.. might cause the CEL to come on and the PCM can set a code, go into a de-fuel mode.. cutting power. But again, as Dave sez; A Boost Fooler, or the like.. can trick the MAP & PCM into not sencing that.

Make any sence ?

Joe

X2

Get a boost fooler first that will help out. Getting rid of the stock up pipe will help to see a little bit higher numbers.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14