Water pump Failure.... Help

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Trip was good but I have two more trips to do before I will have time to install the pump. I picked up the pump and wrench so I will tackle it on Saturday.

wikked

Open 24hrs
Reaction score
Crumm said:
I emailed Dale at powerstrokeshop.com and he sent me this link. I might add that he answered my email Sunday morning at 9:30am, talk about customer service :sweet.

Does anyone know anything about Eastern Industries of Florida? I want a high quality pump and since I only got 57,350 miles out of the OEM unit I am not so sure that OEM is the way to go. The Eastern Industries pump says it is made in America so it is better than some.

A late reply, sorry....

My experience with Eastern Industries pumps is good. Have used many of their parts for our diesel & other applications with no problems. On the box it'll state "Assembled in U.S.A from components mfr'd in China" but IMHO the quality is right up there with the $250+ pumps on the market, but it's something to think about if a person wants to buy only an American product.

Perhaps they have more than one line of "quality" that doesn't include Chinese parts, not sure, just speculating.....

FWIW I get mine through the local auto parts store--he's a PRONTO independent.....the PRONTO sticker has the Eastern Industries logo right on it. :) Price on the pump for my '97 was $114.99 brand new, no core.

Cheers! Dan-

*not an affiliate, just passing info on as a customer*

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
wikked said:
My experience with Eastern Industries pumps is good. On the box it'll state "Assembled in U.S.A from components mfr'd in China"
The new Ford pump I picked up says the same thing on the box "Assembled in U.S.A. from components manufactured in China"..

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Crummy is on the road again

I finally got time to change the pump. Seems like between work and house projects I just don't have time to do much mechanicing. Good thing we have plenty of spare rigs.

The pump was fairly simple to change. All I can add to the instructions is a warning. WARNING: when you remove the water pump an additional gallon of coolant will drain out the front of the block and make a big mess on the shop floor. I drained five gallons out the drain on the bottom of the radiator but that does not drain the block!

Now for the question. The lower neck on my factory pump was cast right on the pump but the lower neck on the new pump is a bolted on steel piece. I am thinking that the OEM pump I bought at the dealer may not be OEM?

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nah that's the "updated" version of the pump. I'm guessing your '96 is an early truck since from what I'd heard they went to the bolt on lower housing for the '96 trucks and have kept with it since then. my '95 had the cast housing. From what I've heard the cast housings are less expensive.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
I would think the cast housing would be better than the two piece? One less joint to leak and that thin steel outlet will rust out long before the big cast unit. I think my truck is a fairly early 96'. I purchased it in August so it had to have been built in the first part of 96'. My CPS part number is also the earlier number, they changed over in mid-96'.

Dale_Lakin

Powerstroke Wannabe Owner
Reaction score
wikked said:
but it's something to think about if a person wants to buy only an American product.

Perhaps they have more than one line of "quality" that doesn't include Chinese parts, not sure, just speculating.....

Good luck finding one I can't. As Crum stated even the Ford/Motorcraft pumps are this way hmmmm wonder if that could be because Eastern is providing Motorcraft with water pumps?? I don't know that to be true but the similarities are there to lead one to believe that they are I do know for a fact they do supply AC Delco. One last point the Eastern Pumps we sell actually carry a better warranty as far as mileage goes 12 months unlimited mileage while the Ford/Motorcraft carry 12 months 12,000 miles.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
The new Ford pump I just installed does not look anything like the stock pump I took off the truck. Different markings, different casting, different necks and different overall appearance. I would not doubt it a bit if it is a Eastern pump in a Motorcraft box.

Dale_Lakin

Powerstroke Wannabe Owner
Reaction score
AFAIK you cannot get the one piece 96 pump any longer and have not been able to for quite awhile.

wikked

Open 24hrs
Reaction score
Dale_Lakin said:
Good luck finding one I can't. As Crum stated even the Ford/Motorcraft pumps are this way hmmmm wonder if that could be because Eastern is providing Motorcraft with water pumps?? I don't know that to be true but the similarities are there to lead one to believe that they are I do know for a fact they do supply AC Delco. One last point the Eastern Pumps we sell actually carry a better warranty as far as mileage goes 12 months unlimited mileage while the Ford/Motorcraft carry 12 months 12,000 miles.
Yea they're identical AFAICT.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14