Water well pump died!!

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Most people plan for this happening by tying a rope to the pump so it can be pulled. If you don't tie the rope, the pump will go out in 2 or 3 weeks.

Dave

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
Mine went out a year ago in Feb. I couldn't gripe it had lasted 20 years. Glad that yours was taken care of quickly.

Ours lasted almost exactly 20 years also.

I'd never replaced a well pump before, so I had no clue about what all was involved other than buying a new pump and getting the shovel out of the garage. It took the 2 guys that came about 5.5 hours to do the job according to the bill. I figured it would take at least two just to pull the pump up by the 90'+ PVC pipe.

The bad news: It cost us about a grand.
The good news: The bill was about $500 less than estimated.

Last edited:

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had 5 acres with 5 house 3 on one well and 2 on another. Had to replace the deep well pump. Had no problems until a few days later when the ground was wet in about 4 areas going to 3 houses. The lines could not hold up anymore and the pipes were busting under ground. After 50 plus years the galv. pipes went. So out came the shovel after a day digging. I got a small back hoe and had it all done in a day. What a job.

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
My well here at the shop is 300' so about 280' of pipe (sch 80 threaded PVC) No rope needed, just pull it by the pipe. I pretty much INSTALLED the pump myself. I don't think I will be pulling it by hand though. :D

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We pulled ours by the pipe and the power cord, it was better to have 2 or 3 to help
lay the pipe on the ground and not brake it. I haven't had to do it in about 15 years and
don't miss it.
Doug

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The guy next to my house in the city had his pump replaced I think last year. The well guys were there week doing his. What a mess they had. His well was going dry, so the had to redrill. He told me they had to go around 800' for clean water. His old well was around 300' and smelled.

nbookie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
our little one is just over 500, five guys and its a 3 hour job. truck, A-frame, winch and two guys can do it in about an hour. our new well is 2300 feet of fiberglass 2 7/8 pipe. that one takes a pulling unit an about 1 hour. in the winter you can add two to 3 hours for either, in my line of work we do about 10 of the 2000+ foot round trip jobs a day.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14