Weak starting

clintusaf

Clint
Reaction score
After my truck had been sitting for an hour after being driven, i got in and tried starting it and it took abnormally long to start. It started real slow in the beginning and then sped up and started. I checked all my switches and such and nothing had been left on. Mind you I have two motorcraft 850cc batts installed just a year and a half ago. Took it to oriellys and them tested. Drivers side showed 98% and pass side showed 94%. Once started, the truck runs like normal. When i got home after 30 min of driving, shut it off, i tried starting it again and same thing. Im worried about it not starting in the morning and getting to work. Im going to clean up my terminals tonight. What do you guys think this sounds like?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Check your grounds for being clean and tight. Bad grounds cause more starting problems than bad batteries.

Dave

starduster

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
F.i.c.m.

Your truck is doing the same thing mine did just before it left me stranded,and turned out to be the FICM.

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello Clint, your two Motorcraft 850 cc batts have a 36 MO free replacement on them so get them checked out at a Ford dealer.
Doug

clintusaf

Clint
Reaction score
ok guys. after checking and cleaning all the connections, it has slowly went down hill. Now when i start it, it barely wants to turn over. It turns over really slow and almost sounds like it's not going to start, but slowly speeds up and starts.

What would be the next step? New starter or new cables? or both?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Have you checked the batteries???? What did you find? Next would be the starter if all of your connections are good.

Dave :dunno

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58