photos Webelos/Boy Scout Camp Out

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
We had our second camp out last night. (my second too, ever)

Had a great time, ate some good food (beef stew for supper peach cobbler or apple surprise cobbler for desert, hashbrown casserole for breakfast)

This camping thing is new to me, but I am learning and enjoying it.
Enjoy the pics.

Fire, so simple but so important (staying warm that is)
100_1126.jpg

100_1137.jpg

100_1132.jpg

Our Boy Scout pack's cooking gear.
100_1124.jpg

Dutch ovens with the cobblers inside
100_1136.jpg

The Boy Scouts have to cook their own food, this was their omlette in a bag.
It looked really good.
100_1134.jpg

The accomodations for the night
100_1125.jpg

100_1130.jpg

My accomodations for the night. Really quite comfortable. And yes, I slept with the tailgate up and the bed cover closed. A friend let me use his blow up matress, slept really good.
100_1128.jpg

100_1127.jpg

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score

No, we ate beef stew :sly

If you are referring to my sleeping in the bed of the truck, let me explain.

Keep in mind, I am a novice and have not yet learned the ways of the experienced camper.

For our 1st camp out we did about 2 months ago, I bought a 6X5 tent from Wal-Mart. I am 6'2", so do the math. Don't know what I was thinking, just trying to get by cheap and got burnt. I lasted about 15 minutes in that tent. I couldn't even stretch out diagonally. So I got up and slept in a bigger tent with my son, nephew, and my son's friend.

I still haven't found a 1/2 person tent that I like yet. We do have a new 8 person/3 room tent, that as a family, we plan to use. It was really to big to take on this second trip just for me. One of the scouts dad (real good friend) brought his blow-up mattress for me to use, so I blew it up and put it in the bed of my truck and slept really good last night.

I would love to have this & or this

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
100_1127.jpg

I would have had some fun with you on that move. Like put a rubber snake in you bed, hell I'd put a live snake in your bed.....LOL Just to see how fast you do move.. :tounge

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
Sounds like a great time.
I can't wait to get out camping, but we're a good 1 to 2 months behind you weather wise. I still have a 3' high pile of snow in the front yard. I can't even get my camper out of storage until April 24.

02SilverStroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I remember a few of those. You'll have to try a "dump" cake on the next one. The scout leader put all the ingredients into a dutch oven, then put coals on top of the oven's flat lid, then it cooked while we walked over to a campfire with the entire camp group for awhile. Came back and the cake was cooked. Really good stuff too. Part of the kids' activities was to make an "envelope bed". It was still pretty cold outside, but my son made his bed, exactly as per instructions. I was in a sleeping bag and still got cold. His bed was nothing more than a sheet. Next morning, the scout leader said he was still going to give them an award for doing it, even though they didn't have to because of the cold weather.

kingkevindavid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great to see you and your boy had a great time Stephen! Nothing better than some good father / son time and no better place than in Cub / Boy Scouts. I have many fond memories of many camping trips in Boy Scouts.
I can't wait to be able to do this stuff with my new boy!

I will have to get used to actually sleeping in a tent (or camper) after all my years in the Army and sleeping on the ground or on the hood of a Hummer in nothing but a Gortex sleeping bag. They work incredibly well in all weather conditions by the way. If you happen into an Army surplus store, you may want to check one out. Look for the three bag system.

EmptyDub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like y'all had a great time Bama! I've got a truck tent that's only been put up once. We ended up buying a camping trailer right after we bought it, and it's been sitting in storage ever since. We're in the process of moving and need to get rid of some stuff- cheap! This would be perfect for ya! Let me know if you're interested and I'll PM ya w/ more pics, etc.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No matter what the accomodations were or wernt, or how good or bad the food was.... you have just created another Lifes Memory, for Your Son.. and You, that will never fade.

Good On Ya Bama.

;tu Yer a GOOD DAD ;tu

At 64 :)eek:), I remember the days and nights of Hunting, Fishing, Boating and Camping with my Dad & Bro's.. as if they happened last week.:sweet

Life is Good.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14