what can i do w/out getting rid if the warranty

strokethisford

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I just bought a 2004 ford f350 with the 6.0 44,000 miles all i been hearing is bad things about my truck, its starting to get me mad, but any wayz the truck has a extra 36000 mile warranty plus the ford 100,000 five year one, Well i just put on my airaid air setup on and the stainless steel mbrp turbo back exhast its 3.5 down pipe and then 4 after that, well the ford guy said as long as i leave my cat in ill have no worries about it so i did, but now i want to chip it i want the new edge a2 or i want the banks 6 gunner with speedloader and the pda set up, i can get the both for a good price both with in 100 bucks of each other, IM almost positve that this will void my warrites right? my best friend has this on his 6.0 set up the banks set up but ford just keeps warranting his with no prbs, i ask him how is that possable he said he can clear all the codes to show it never had a chip or a "program" on it, I dont know if this is true because he B.S's alot and hard to belive him, If you guys could please help me out so i can order my chip system or not? And even wiht both the edge a2 and the banks sixgunner wiht speedloader and pda they both display egt trans all the goodies gauges but will i still have to put the gauge pod in wiht the egt and other gauges to make the "ford people" happy, thanks for the input

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Chipping it will void your warranty. It leaves a code OR something like the burn pattern on the pistons that will show them you are chipped. "You play, you pay".

Dave - stock

TexasExcursion

GOD Bless America!
Reaction score
strokethisford said:
IM almost positve that this will void my warrites right?

Not necessarily. My service rep knows I've got the SCMT and he still replaced my turbo under warranty when it went bad. I think that's more of an individual thing and I certainly don't advertise to Ford that I've got one. When going to the dealership for service, I just program it back to stock, even for a tire rotation. BUT, setting it back to stock will give a P1000 (or something like that) code which basically says the PCM has been recently changed. To get rid of this code, you've got to drive it through all the cycles. So having a chip or programmer is a risk, it just depends on whether you're willing to accept your warranty potentially getting voided if your service rep doesn't work with you.

FWIW, I also had guages installed so when discussing the fried turbo with my service rep, I was able to tell him what my max EGT's were and max boost (and show him the max values thanks to the X-Monitor) so he could reasonably say the bad turbo wasn't due to negligence on my part.

ranger boy

Banned User
Reaction score
TexasExcursion said:
Not necessarily. My service rep knows I've got the SCMT and he still replaced my turbo under warranty when it went bad. I think that's more of an individual thing and I certainly don't advertise to Ford that I've got one. When going to the dealership for service, I just program it back to stock, even for a tire rotation. BUT, setting it back to stock will give a P1000 (or something like that) code which basically says the PCM has been recently changed. To get rid of this code, you've got to drive it through all the cycles. So having a chip or programmer is a risk, it just depends on whether you're willing to accept your warranty potentially getting voided if your service rep doesn't work with you.

FWIW, I also had guages installed so when discussing the fried turbo with my service rep, I was able to tell him what my max EGT's were and max boost (and show him the max values thanks to the X-Monitor) so he could reasonably say the bad turbo wasn't due to negligence on my part.
whenever I go in I just unplug the Juice module but keep the Attitude Monitor in, They don't mind if you have gauges

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
strokethisford said:
what can i do w/out getting rid if the warranty

Drive it into the garage, take the tires off, put it on blocks, close the garage door and weld it shut!!

Ford and their stealership network will use any excuse they can to void someone's warranty. I remember a guy over at TDS who took his truck in for service, not repairs, just service. He had it lifted w/bigger tires. The service manager went into the Ford computer network and voided his warranty. But unfortunately it really depends on the dealer, there is little consistancy. They run from the extremely liberal to the extremely a-hole. My original dealer installed installed my exhaust brake for me without a wimper. There are even a few that are Banks dealers/installers. Then there are those that will void your entire powertrain warranty because you put different wheels and tires on. Ford has been paying for a huge amount of warranty repairs in large part due to the disaster with the earlier 6.0's. They have been using any excuse they can to void warranties in an attempt to limit those expenditures.

The best thing you can do is to talk to your stealership service manger and get a feel as to which way he leans.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
2005Diesel said:
whenever I go in I just unplug the Juice module but keep the Attitude Monitor in, They don't mind if you have gauges
I'm pretty sure the Juice will leave tracks in your PCM, they know its been there.

ranger boy

Banned User
Reaction score
95_stroker said:
I'm pretty sure the Juice will leave tracks in your PCM, they know its been there.
I dunno, but I don't want to take any chances. So far it's worked, maybe they're lenient. *shrugs*

SDEric

Here's my pride!
Reaction score
WHo posted thta they won a warranty battle over this whole stealership crap. There were some good details in there.

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
Well, I will say what many others have said before. You bought a $50Kish truck and don't think that you can throw some $500 tuning on it, that it was never designed for, and expect big brother Ford to pay the bill. IF YOU PLAY YOU PAY I am proud of myself for having the not done so until the warranty expired.

Here's the deal. There is a law out there that protects us from putting different valve stem caps on our tires to void warranty. Magnuson-Moss The law was written because manufactures were unfair about warranties. The problem with the law, like many in our free greedy society, is the fact that people like to twist and turn it their favor. You know that reprogramming your truck to its extreme level may cause some problems, don't kid yourself, you know this. We'll get back to this later. *** So a law that was written to help us out with bully manufactures, is now quoted as "do what you want they have to prove it". Do you see where this is going yet? They have deep pockets, and will spend $40K not to replace a $12K motor. How much money do you have in your accounts to fight them? If you have enough to fight, then you have enough to buy the motor, hence "pay to play". They will find ways to prove that you and your aftermarket components caused the damage. *** to the other point.....

If you have a 12K motor under your foot, and gauges to monitor it, then you let out a little sooner when its on your wallet, instead of theirs. This is my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

steps off soap box.............

Bryan

Last edited:

Invader

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sure you can back all the programmers to the stock setting but it still leaves somesort of trail indicating something has been altered. The is a trail, even if it is minute. It is up to the dealer to decide whether he is going to charge you or Ford.:dunno:(

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14