What clutch for Beans stage I

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
geonc said:
The orig POS -mad DMFW crapped the bed{and cracked the case :cussing: }.
Cracked the transmission case? :eek: I was planning on letting my DMFW go until it was shot but if it might break the transmission I better get it out of there tomorrow.

geonc

my other 4X4
Reaction score
better late than...................

Crumm said:
Cracked the transmission case? :eek: I was planning on letting my DMFW go until it was shot but if it might break the transmission I better get it out of there tomorrow.

Apologys for not getting back sooner :sorry

LINKY

Here's the thread I have at OB.

When tha POS :cussing: DMFW went....it felt like a u-joint ready to grenade :eek:

Not trying to scare ya but get that worn out DM f/w out of there ASAP!
:cheers:
GEO

Patrick Feeley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got my SBC Con-O from BDP (thanks! ;tu ) for mine. We'll see when I can ever get the time to install it! :rolleyes: I'll post comments when finally done.

Cheers!

bdp

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Crumm said:
It is on my list :sweet Hope she holds until I get it done -popcorn

Better sooner then later. Went to put a clutch in a locals truck and housing was cracked 3/4 the way around. Been into that truck twice now and gotta do it again this week. Put a standard Luk kit in, got it from SBC, disc material sucked and was too grabby, come to find out Peter dont liek to sell Luk kits for this reason, it was liek driving a truck with a FE clutch no slip at all. Also has a vibration at 70mph. So get new Con O disc and pp from Peter and drop it in, engagement much better but vibration still there. Pretty sure that I got a flywheel way out of balance also, it will rattle your teeth when reved to 2500rpms in nuetral. Also think teh back trans housing may be cracked also, got a mysterious leak somewhere that I cant find, coming from a place where ther is no joints or holes to leak from. :cussing:

So, moral of teh story is dont be like this guy and wait too long and dont be liek me and put a standard Luk kit in, they suck.

goldhilljoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remember, this is the internet, where everyone's a diesel mechanic and has 500+hp/1000+lb/ft under the hood! Read up, form your own opinions, then do your own real-world
testing!

Man Antonio- I DO believe that you have it pegged--Joe

geonc

my other 4X4
Reaction score
Also think teh back trans housing may be cracked also, got a mysterious leak somewhere that I cant find, coming from a place where ther is no joints or holes to leak from.

Ryan, I've got that same "mystery" leak -mad :cussing:

Pull the shifters/boots, roll the carpet back up on the seats -after putting a dropcloth on seats- and floor access pan........look at the back of the rear cover about 11o'clock about 1" down....spray some brakleen and let it idle about 3-5 mins......mine is about 3/4" long.
Tried some epoxy but apparently I didn't use a heat gun to draw out the residual, even after using 2 cans of brakleeen and letting dry 1/2 between squirts. :cussing:

Next time I'm using some grey "marinetex"....I've used this product before on marine gear hsgs, f/w hsgs and had great results!...... -popcorn

geonc

my other 4X4
Reaction score
Crumm said:
How may miles are on these trucks with the broken cases? Mine only has 57,500 or so.

:eek: :eek: Where is that jealous smiley TOO BE SURE!- 57k mi :sweet

My PSD grenaded at 190 xxx mi, the IDI's went at least 230 k or so.
The PSD was the first time I have seen one self destruct
I float the gears when I shift{no clutch} but that prolly has nothing to do with when the DMFW disentegrates, not to mention that altho I pulled a loaded trailer most of the IDI's life, {same with the PSD} I have only hooked to a sled with the PSD...only 2 hooks tho :)

DAMN 57k miles...drool....slobber.... :thumbs

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
geonc said:
DAMN 57k miles...drool....slobber.... :thumbs
Poor old truck just sits most of the time. I drive my 1975 to work and just use the 96' for pleasure trips to town. It has made a couple of trips to the lower 48 too but that is only about 6000 miles a round. I would estimate right now I am putting an average of about 20 miles a week on the 96'. I also make a trip to Valdez every year for fishing so that adds another 700 or so. I am trying to make it last until I retire(another 19 years or so), have you seen the price of a new one :eek: :eek:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58