Help Needed What did I break?!?

Friis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My batteries are in bad shape and this morning the truck wouldn't start at all. Cranked 2 or 3 times and went dead. Then I went and did something stupid :dunno.: By accident I tried to jump the truck with a 24v vehicle. At first I didn't notice. I tried to start the truck but it didn't. Then one of the batteries started to boil. I disconnected the wires immediately and waited a few minutes. Then I tried jumpin it again (this time with 12v) but the starter didn't make a sound. I could hear the relays activating, and all lights in the dash as well as the radio are just fine.

What did I brake? Besides the batteries, which probably were gone anyway. I know this was a messed up thing to do but I just came from a night-shift at work:dizzy I can't be the first person to do this...?! Are there any safeties in this case? Any fuses, that could have blown? Or is my starter and possibly other components fried? Please help me with some recommendations. Thanx.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
You fried the batteries at least, and maybe the PCM. They all go live when you turn the key and the key was tied to a 24v source. Hope you didn't. There are fuse links that are located on the passenger's fender and fuses under the hood, on the driver's side near the brake cylinder. Start pulling fuses and checking the fuse links for burned wire.

Dave

Friis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I'll do that when I get to my work place tomorrow. So you don't think the starters gone?
Needing a replacement PCM might be a chance to upgrade it, maybe to something with selectable power settings, right? (Though I probably shouldn't award myself for being such a dumbass! -But it would be easier to explain to the wife:sly)

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
Projects to come include SVO conversion from German manufacturer Elsbett

Sorry to hear about your brain fart. :doh: Glad you are going to do what I've been doing for over three years...running WVO. If you upgrade your PCM make sure to have a stock setting because it's best to run WVO at stock. Mine has an aftermarket chip. Anything above the stock setting I only use for diesel or biodiesel.

Todd Tumbleston

Tumblestone
Reaction score
All the aforementioned advice sounds good........the starter is probably fine as it never engaged under 24v..Even so, most can handle a short overvoltage.....You just gotta hope you didn't fry the brain............Mine's fried but not im my truck............:dizzy

Friis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all your advice. This forum is the greatest. Now, lets see if I can turn this into something good.:confused:

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
We have a 12 volt system of two batteries in PARALLEL. It is really one battery in two places. This increases tha amperage for the starter and glow plugs while keeping the same voltage.

Dave

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg