What do I do?

ovrrdrive

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I agree with turboty...

If you can feel them, or if they are down to the primer there is no over the counter product that will "fix" it for you...

You can buff the light ones out to make everything look a lot better, but if you have to get it painted anyway don't bother. Just let the shop do it for you as they'll have to prep everything anyway.

And do find a good shop... There's nothing worse than someone trying to fix damage by going to a crappy shop and ending up with crappy paint covering up the scratches they went in for in the first place.

I suggest buffing what you can and living with it while you save up money to get it done right...

justnsgirl

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys... I appreciate all the help... We tryed to buff it yesterday evening without much luck... None of the scratches are to the primer thank goodness and I can't feel any them with my fingernail either... I've been told that we could sand them out with 2000 grit wet sand but wouldn't that leave a rough patch where the scratches already are? :thanks

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
It will leave it with a dull look. You can polish the dull spots out and get it back to sort of normal. This is a labor intensive project.

Dave

TurboTy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
justnsgirl said:
Hey Guys... I appreciate all the help... We tryed to buff it yesterday evening without much luck... None of the scratches are to the primer thank goodness and I can't feel any them with my fingernail either... I've been told that we could sand them out with 2000 grit wet sand but wouldn't that leave a rough patch where the scratches already are? :thanks

If you are goin to sand em out with 2000 dont go to far, only enough to get the scratches out, if they do come out, then you'll have to hit the spots with a good quality compound with a buffer, use a soft foam pad and you should be able to get them out with a fine cut compound, you can always go harder if need be, but try and use the softer stuff first. Then go over the spots witha good wax or hand glaze to protect the paint you just rubbed and buffed all the protectant off of.

justnsgirl

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
TurboTy said:
If you are goin to sand em out with 2000 dont go to far, only enough to get the scratches out, if they do come out, then you'll have to hit the spots with a good quality compound with a buffer, use a soft foam pad and you should be able to get them out with a fine cut compound, you can always go harder if need be, but try and use the softer stuff first. Then go over the spots witha good wax or hand glaze to protect the paint you just rubbed and buffed all the protectant off of.

umm... Thanks for all the detail... It's greatly appreciated... I don't wanna sound stupid... but.... what's a hand glaze?:dunno

Scooter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get some mequiars Scratch X. It is designed for this type of problem. You will want to use a microfiber towel and use straight motions, in one direction in order to not cause serious maring. After you use that, you wil want some dual action cleaner polish over the top of that, and then some polish, All of these are Mequiars products. If you have an orbital polisher, you can use it to apply these chemicals. Just take you time and if you have a question if you should stop or not, stop. You can always go and do more, it is a lot harder to stop to late.

BTW, this is part of what I do for a living.

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
i was just wondering as i have been reading this thread for the last few days.

i think she scratched up her boyfriends truck, and he dont know about it yet.

can you hear the panic in her typing voice? :sly

just havin some fun, scratches are killer on the paint, can make the whole truck look terrible

hope they come out alright.

Last edited:

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
your problem MAYBE that when you start wet sanding the scratches
out (assuming theyre only in the clear coat)...youll remove at least
SOME of the clear coat...and if youre not careful you can QUICKLY
get into the paint...it doesnt take much (as they say they dont
paint 'em like they used to)

at best if you do get the scratches out of the clear coat youll have
to re-SHOOT the clear....you can NOT blend clear coat...so the reality
is to do the job right youll have to shoot clear coat on the entire panel.

justnsgirl

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
bama-six-gun said:
i was just wondering as i have been reading this thread for the last few days.

i think she scratched up her boyfriends truck, and he dont know about it yet.

can you hear the panic in her typing voice? :sly

just havin some fun, scratches are killer on the paint, can make the whole truck look terrible

hope they come out alright.

Actually, I didn't do it. :laugh I'm just trying to help find a solution to the situation. I think that what he has decided to do is very lightly wet sand it with 2000 grit sandpaper and then try to buff that out. If that doesn't work then I guess that we'll have to do what was suggested above, and shoot it with a clear coat. I'll let you guys know how it turns out. :thanks

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
justnsgirl said:
Actually, I didn't do it. :laugh I'm just trying to help find a solution to the situation. I think that what he has decided to do is very lightly wet sand it with 2000 grit sandpaper and then try to buff that out. If that doesn't work then I guess that we'll have to do what was suggested above, and shoot it with a clear coat. I'll let you guys know how it turns out. :thanks

hope it all works out brandi. i was checkin out where mashburn was, ya'll are up in the sticks girl, looks like your around a 5 hour drive or so from me in NE AL.

:sweet

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64