What gear do you tow in??

goldhilljoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just curious, been towing on FLAT at 62MPH in Overdrive(5th) with 3.55 rear XL. Have plenty of:thumbs power, just wondering how tranny will hold up? I pull a 5er and it is lite weight at only 6800 lbs. Just would like to know what others :dunno do. Thanks:thanks in advance

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
I tow in overdrive unless it starts hunting between drive and overdrive on grades.:cool:

XTrmXJ

NACHHOOOOOOO!!!!
Reaction score
BWWAAAAHAHAHAHAHA

Yup I tow in OD on an auto untill it starts hunting, I also use Cruise control until I get to the mountains

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
whatabudro said:
shorts, flip-flops and a t-shirt:D
:roflmao :roflmao :roflmao :tounge :tounge
thanks I needed a good laugh

we tow in OD witht the tow/haul selected
winds up a bit higher in rpm and wont engage OD till over 45mph. othere than that its good

if you are pulling at 65 in OD and its staying locked, then just watch the egts for signs of lugging, (high egts with no appreciable increase in speed or boost)
you can pop thru 1300 real easy. :eek:
if it lugs deslect OD till your back up to speed or flatter ground.:sweet

HTRDDSL

HTRDDSL
Reaction score
I tow a 25 foot travel travel trailer in OD all the time. But I installed a larger tranny cooler and have a column mounted tranny temp gauge as well. Don't trust the factory one. Haven't encountered any problems yet but I do keep a close eye on the EGT as well as tranny temps.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
User Name said:
Does it matter that the poster has a 5 speed?
not
really, it does however make it easeir to keep it in Od or any other gear and he has direct control over lugging, if it luggs, a quicks clutch action and he is down a gear.
Nice catch:D

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
You guys and you're girly trannies!:eek: :roflmao :tounge

GoldhillJoe,

With my 6spd, 3.73's and that weight I would drive in OD at that speed but would rather be closer to 70mph to get it up to 2000rpms. WHat are your revs? I like to spin her up and let her breath(love the turbo sound), just watch EGTs. Mine can sky rocket in OD but when it's wound up they just creep up.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
roosterdiesel said:
You guys and you're girly trannies!:eek: :roflmao :tounge
Thats what I was thinking. I run in 5th if it will pull it. If it runs out of power in 5th then I go to 4th. The transmission is not working any harder in 5th than it is in 4th when you have a "real" transmission.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg