What in the heck

dmcvey_1999

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
So this weekend I took the superduty out for some wheeling fun. I was towing my 1987 bronco with a 8 x 20 flat deck trailer. The truck was pulling fine, EGT's went no higher than 980 degrees, transmission temperature at 170, engine oil temperature 204. I pulled into my buddies yard and parked. He asked me to move the truck, started the truck back up and put it in gear. When I hit the accelerator, no boost at all!! Truck had no power at all. Tried in reverse, 4 hi/4lo symptoms all the same, no boost and black smoke out the tail pipe. Pulled the diagnostic codes and codes indicated 06011 FICM, and EGR circuit malfunction. I figured the EGR was acting up so I pulled the plug on the EGR valve. Okay now truck has no boost and white smoke coming out the tail pipe. Let the truck cool down for about two hours and tried again. With EGR valve disconnected still white smoke and no boost present. I called my buddy and put the 250 on the trailer and back to his house. We let the truck cool for another couple hours, truck started right up boost and all. We pulled the EGR valve, it was not dirty, had just been cleaned less than 2,000 miles ago. Cleaned it anyway. I checked my battery voltages and they are indicating 10 volts. Will this cause all these problems? Sorry about the long post, just trying to provide as much information as possible.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Low voltage will play hell with the computers. Get fresh batteries in the truck first and then try it. White smoke tells me that the over fueling is gone (FICM), but incomplete combustion, like it is cold.

Dave

fordoor

SDD Member
Reaction score
X2 what DaveBen said.* What year is your SD and/or the batt.'s? After getting new batt.'s you should verify charging system is doing it's thing properly. Hope it's the easy fix, good luck.

dmcvey_1999

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Well I replaced the batteries and initially my FICM code was still there. Cleared the DTC three or four times and decided to take the truck on a long run. Drove it for about 45 minutes and I can definitely tell you the transmission relearned itself. Trans temp prior to the problem was around 165 when driving unloaded around town. The trans temp did not get above 155 this time. This was with some very aggressive driving as well. FICM has cleared but I will wait until the truck has completely cooled down before I assume it is fixed. Thanks for the responses.

dmcvey_1999

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Oh as for the truck 2006 with 82,000 miles on her. Batteries were original motorcraft batteries from the dealer. I have put every mile on her minus 150.

fordoor

SDD Member
Reaction score
That's almost exactly the mileage I had when my original batt.'s started to wane. Although I got 5 years out of em', but I'm here in N. Calif.(sealevel), I have to drive a few hours to find snow in the wintertime.

dmcvey_1999

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Well started the truck up this morning and checked and of course the infamous FICM code once again. Tried to clear the code while the truck was idling and in park and the code just keeps coming back. Put it in gear and cleared again. Rechecked and the code was still there. I was not able to get the code to clear until the engine was at 150 degrees. Verified the same scenario when I came home from work this evening. Same exact results. Called Edge during lunch to see if they had heard of this before. He stated Ford has had alot of problems with their FICM's lately. Supposedly there is an update they can do to the FICM that will alleviate this. FORD says they won't touch without a CEL:rant and I still have a warranty left!!

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Now that you mentioned it, the engine and drive train has to be at operating temperatures to preform diagnostics on the truck. I knew this a few years ago, but forgot. Thanks for reminding me.

Dave;tu

dmcvey_1999

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
So DaveBen are you saying that the FICM code is not a problem since it clears out once the engine temp is at 150? It is only since this last winter that I started getting this FICM code. Initially I thought it was just the fuel gelling some in the cold weather. Now that it is 50 degrees minimal every morning I am not so sure. Also that doesn't explain my truck having the no boost condition this past weekend. Sorry just looking for an answer as to what is going on. I am going to tow this weekend for multiple hours to see if I can simulate the fault.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58