What in the heck

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
No that is NOT what I am trying to say. What I am saying is you must let the truck get up to operating temperature before you run the diagnostic routine. If you see a code you have a choice as to remove it or keep it. Keep it if you are going to take it to Ford. Fuel will not gel at 50 degrees. But you can let it warm up before you get on it. Try it again and post back.

Dave

dmcvey_1999

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Okay, so I went to advanced auto this morning to see if they could read the 0611 fault code I was indicating. They told me if I did not have a check engine light they could not read it. Great so I rip the tuner off this morning in the parking lot at work. Take it over to the dealership and explain the whole situation to them. They say fine they will take a look at it. Well they had the truck all day and tell me they cannot find a code. I said fine I will hook the trailer up and drive around until it goes. Well I drove for over two hours towing from Breyton beach road all the way to Prince Frederick over to Waldorf and back again. I decided not to shut the truck down until I was at home just to ensure I was not stranded. I pulled into the house and shut the truck down. She definitely had been working hard as I was launching from the lights with over 30 pounds of boost. The truck started right back up and had boost and all. Not like out at ridge. At this point I don't know if my tuner caused the fault at Stretch's house or the batteries did. I will wait a couple days and put the tuner back on and perform the same tests. We will see what happens.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
That tells me that your tuner is some how causing your problems. Now you know why I don't run chips or tuners.

Dave

dmcvey_1999

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
LOL, yeah we will see. It is either the batteries that caused it or the tuner. Battery voltages were indicating 10.5 volts when not running. As for the tuner I have had it on the truck since mile 200. So I guess 80,000 miles out of a piece of electronics that is under the hood dealing with the heat is not to bad if that is what it turns out to be. I will agree with you though if it does turn out to be that I will probably stay away from the tuners for a little while. At least till I save up the money for ARP head bolts and upgrade to SCT!!

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
10.5 volts is too low. Have you had your batteries load tested? Low voltage plays hell on electronics. This may be causing your tuner and/or PCM to act funny.

Dave

dmcvey_1999

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
That was what the previous batteries were indicating. I had read on here that could cause the FICM fault so I swapped out the batteries for some new ones from autozone. 1000 cold cranking amps. The alternator is good because I read 14.4 volts when going up and down the road. When the truck is shut off the battery voltage goes to 12. The previous batteries would go to 10.5. I appreciate all of the insight from everyone on here. As stated I will wait a couple days and put the tuner back on to determine what actually caused my fault.

strokepower

Stroke=Power
Reaction score
I know edge has had some problems with things like this happening.... the guy that owns a muffler shop here in town had the same thing happen and sent the tuner back to edge and had it re calibrated and after a few weeks it did it again... they eventually gave him a new unit and he hasn't had problems since... btw his is an '06 dually.... his problems occured at like 20000 miles though.... just some insight for thought.. good luck

dmcvey_1999

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Yeah, when i first got my tuner I had various problems with the displays blanking out. I went through five different units before getting one that worked correctly. I have had this unit on the truck for the last two years after finally getting the display problems worked out. It is looking more and more like something let go in the tuner itself. (heat related) At this point I am not sure the FICM code is a legitimate fault as indicated on the tuner. Ford is not able to read the code at all once the tuner is off. I even tried to have them hook up their laptop while I was there so I could see for myself but they wouldn't. The truck is running well without the tuner on as far as I can tell. I can honestly say the truck pulled better stock than it did with the tuner on there in stock mode. Literally it felt like a different truck. I think this is due to their stock parameters (edge) are outdated. I think the ECU and FICM are having a conlict when using the tuner in stock mode. The truck has been reflashed like five times by Ford since I have owned the truck. At this point I don't think I will be putting the tuner back on permanently any more. I will just to determine if it was the tuner that stranded me last weekend but the truck pulls better without it. I think I will just get some ISSPRO gauges to monitor EGT, trans temp, boost levels, and maybe one for fuel pressure. I will say I was pleasantly surprised how well the truck pulled completely stock. This is with 33 inch tires and a 4 inch MBRP exhaust. I honestly think the 4 inch exhaust helps keep my EGT numbers down. The 33 inch tires takes away some of my gearing but I will be going back to stock tire size with the next set of tires. Pulling a 10,000 lb load my truck needs all the gearing it can get.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
What ever you do, get gauges!!!! You don't have any idea if you are about to melt pistons without them. They are a great diagnostic tool.

Dave

dmcvey_1999

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
DaveBen, yeah I know. That is why I went with the edge with attitude tuner in the first place. It gave me the ability to monitor all the important parameters like EGT, transmission temp, coolant temp, engine oil temp,etc. It was nice that it was a clean package as well. However after the problems I have been having recently and the way the truck tows without it I think I will just leave the tuners alone. I contemplated doing a SCT with XCAL but honestly I just don't feel like playing with possible damage to my truck. These trucks are way to expensive to have them down hard. Also I only have 17,000 miles and some change left on my warranty so time to stop beating on the truck so hard.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58