What in the heck

strokepower

Stroke=Power
Reaction score
love my SCT from innovative (tuned by eric).... i had an edge in my 03 and never had any problems with it but my SCT is a lot smoother in my opinion.. good luck.. like you said.. expensive truck.. 17000 miles.. its good to be smart

dmcvey_1999

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Strokepower, is SCT still having all the problems I have been reading about with tunes not loading and stuff? I would like to try the livewire but not if I am going to go through the hassle of not being able to return my truck to stock. I know several individuals were saying they had saved the lbu file and had to send this to SCT when they tried to get back to stock. Also I hear a lot of guys saying get the custom tunes. Are the canned tunes just not that great or was this SCT trying not to destroy the truck? I know with custom tunes you can get crazy horsepower and torque but how soon before it takes out the head gaskets, turbo, or transmission? Not trying to bust on SCT or anything, I am just honestly trying to get input from someone that already has one before I invest the money in one. One last question how many miles on your truck with the SCT and what tune file do you run?

fordoor

SDD Member
Reaction score
DaveBen, yeah I know. That is why I went with the edge with attitude tuner in the first place. It gave me the ability to monitor all the important parameters like EGT, transmission temp, coolant temp, engine oil temp,etc. It was nice that it was a clean package as well. However after the problems I have been having recently and the way the truck tows without it I think I will just leave the tuners alone. I contemplated doing a SCT with XCAL but honestly I just don't feel like playing with possible damage to my truck. These trucks are way to expensive to have them down hard. Also I only have 17,000 miles and some change left on my warranty so time to stop beating on the truck so hard.

Are you certain now it was the edge tuner or the low voltage batt.'s? I've loved my edge w/attitude and have around 85k.miles on it in my 03' with no problems. Running stock after getting use to the increased response and performance would (for me) be very unsatisfying. I totally understand your point about not hurting our expensive powerplant. I added my edge after my H.G.'s and egr cooler were replaced (A.R.P.studs now) on my STOCK truck.

dmcvey_1999

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Fordoor, at this point I am still not sure it was the edge causing the problem. Wednesday night I went and picked up my trailer with the bronco on it. I towed for about two hours launching hard from the lights. With the stock gauge I was easily seeing 30 psi boost. Anyway ran the truck like this for two hours and then brought it home before trying to restart. Just in case it decided to do the same thing to me as the weekend before. I was able to start the truck right back up, with boost and all normal indications. I couldn't tell you what the tranny temp or engine temp was because the tuner wasn't on there. I have to go on a business trip Monday so I decided I will wait until I return to put the tuner back on. I will update once I have done that and run the same tests.

fordoor

SDD Member
Reaction score
Fordoor, at this point I am still not sure it was the edge causing the problem. Wednesday night I went and picked up my trailer with the bronco on it. I towed for about two hours launching hard from the lights. With the stock gauge I was easily seeing 30 psi boost. Anyway ran the truck like this for two hours and then brought it home before trying to restart. Just in case it decided to do the same thing to me as the weekend before. I was able to start the truck right back up, with boost and all normal indications. I couldn't tell you what the tranny temp or engine temp was because the tuner wasn't on there. I have to go on a business trip Monday so I decided I will wait until I return to put the tuner back on. I will update once I have done that and run the same tests.

I look forward to your results. Hopefully it was just an anomaly caused by the low voltage. Let us know.

strokepower

Stroke=Power
Reaction score
Strokepower, is SCT still having all the problems I have been reading about with tunes not loading and stuff? I would like to try the livewire but not if I am going to go through the hassle of not being able to return my truck to stock. I know several individuals were saying they had saved the lbu file and had to send this to SCT when they tried to get back to stock. Also I hear a lot of guys saying get the custom tunes. Are the canned tunes just not that great or was this SCT trying not to destroy the truck? I know with custom tunes you can get crazy horsepower and torque but how soon before it takes out the head gaskets, turbo, or transmission? Not trying to bust on SCT or anything, I am just honestly trying to get input from someone that already has one before I invest the money in one. One last question how many miles on your truck with the SCT and what tune file do you run?

I haven't heard of some of those problems... I had to find a computer with window XP and not windows vista to get my tunes to upload but that was about the only "hassle" i had.... I have put mine back to stock twice with no problems.... from what I understand the custom tunes are better simply because they work with the strategy from your individual truck... vs just some tune you put in the truck... I would look at it like this (my attempt and an analogy) if you go out and buy a suit that is just on the rack for anyone to buy it will fit "ok" and get the job done... BUT if you go have one tailor made it will fit "perfect" and be more comfortable.... headgaskets, tranny, and turbo are all about how much you take care of your truck... i have 33,000 on my truck and have ran my SCT for close to 13,000 miles on my extreme street custom tune... it will get up and go when i want it to but it is very smooth if im just driving... i get about 16-18 mpg highway with a 2.5" leveling kit and 35inch tires and around 13 with city driving...

I hope that helps...

dmcvey_1999

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Strokepower, thanks for the input. I have 82,000 miles on my 06 with all of those miles with the edge tuner on it minus 150. Just recently the truck started acting up. If you look further back in the post you will see where it stranded me after towing. Without the edge tuner on it, I have pulled hard for over two hours the other night. I am not 100 percent for sure it was the tuner that caused it but it is definitely leaning that way. I am going to run some more tests after I get back from my business trip and will post up. If the tuner is the problem I am looking at the SCT livewire as its replacement.

strokepower

Stroke=Power
Reaction score
Strokepower, thanks for the input. I have 82,000 miles on my 06 with all of those miles with the edge tuner on it minus 150. Just recently the truck started acting up. If you look further back in the post you will see where it stranded me after towing. Without the edge tuner on it, I have pulled hard for over two hours the other night. I am not 100 percent for sure it was the tuner that caused it but it is definitely leaning that way. I am going to run some more tests after I get back from my business trip and will post up. If the tuner is the problem I am looking at the SCT livewire as its replacement.

No problem... I know edge has had some problems like that... I had none with mine and my dad and my brother both run edge and have had no problems.. its just a matter of luck i suppose.. either way good luck... pm me if you need any numbers for the SCT.. I know a lot of the guys on here including me are very high on SCT

dmcvey_1999

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
updates

Well, I know it has been a long time since an update. Sorry about that, on the road a lot. Anyway the FICM turned out to be the culprit. In the end it tripped codes for all eight injectors with the truck running. Also managed to take out the egr cooler, oil cooler, and egr valve. Now she has turbo problems.... The saga continues.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58